Diner Date

Never would she have imagined she'd ever be sitting in a diner, waiting for her order of burger, fries and a milkshake with Eddie Munson. But here they were. Her fingernails tapped against the table, her eyes drifting around the room.

"Checking to make sure no one we know will see us together?" he asked.

Her milkshake was placed in front of her, she thanked the waitress before taking a big sip.

"I can duck under the table if need be," he added.

"Sounds more like you're worried about preserving your reputation than mine. What will you do if one of your club members comes in and sees you with a popular kid, they'll accuse you of all sorts."

"I would hope they clap me on the back and congratulate me on my conquest."

She rolled her eyes and took another sip. It was different than the milkshakes she gets at the other diner with Jackie but still good. "Is that why you wanted me to wear your shirt, to show off who exactly conquered me?"

"I would do no such thing." He wiggled his eyebrows at her, smirking as he sipped his own drink.

Their food arrived. Her eyes lit up at the sight of the cheeseburger. "Who needs to diet anymore when you're out of the squad," she said, holding it up to her mouth. "That's been another good point. No commitment, no leering from creeps," she arched her brow suggestively at him, "and no more diets."

"Diet? But you're already skinny."

"You have no idea what those uniforms are like. Do you think they make new ones for every new member? They've had the same outfits for years. If you can't fit into them, best believe it's up to you to lose a few pounds. Otherwise, you'll need to know someone who can sew. My aunt had to adjust mine for me when I first started, and then from all the exercise I lost weight so she had to adjust it again." She took a bite, savouring the moment it first hit her tastebuds. "Nightmare."

"All that so you can cheer on a bunch of jocks? Personally, I don't see the appeal."

"Me neither, not anymore." She picked up a fry, waving it around as she spoke. "I do miss the girls though, they were sweethearts. But my little cousin made the squad this year, so at least she can continue on in my honour."

"Would you do something else now that you don't have cheer?"

"I don't know, I hadn't thought about that." She considered what she could do. "I could join band, they allow pianists, right?"

He grinned. "I might have guessed you'd play the piano. Go on then, what's your speciality?"

"Well, I mean, I haven't actually played properly in years so... Fur Elise."

"Yeah, I don't think they do that in band."

"Not band then. Hey, I could join yours! Might affect your image though."

"Yes, because a piano solo is exactly what we're missing."

She smiled, picking up her milkshake. Across the room, she recognised a couple of her classmates. They were looking her way and whispering. She became painfully aware of the Hellfire shirt she was wearing. No doubt it would be the talk of the school on Monday. Perhaps she could get away with telling people she'd joined the D&D club. Was that better than allowing them to think she'd spent the night with Eddie? It wasn't just that she was afraid of other people knowing her business, she was worried about the repercussion it could have for him.