Chapter 4 - A night together

- "There were twelve empty rooms when we came here not more than an hour ago. So, we didn't bother to ask for it then. How can there be only four left?" Wei Wuxian questioned.

-"A group of travellers, arrived and they asked for six rooms." The innkeeper replied.

- "And what about other two?"

- "Not suitable for staying. Reconstruction is going on."

- "Do you know any other inn nearby?"

- " Young Master, only two days are left for the lantern festival. So, travellers and visitors have already gathered here. Every inn nearby is fully packed. As the price is a bit higher here, so I still had a few empty rooms."

- "We will take the four rooms." Lan Wangji confirmed. 

What! Oh lord! I don't know anyone from the Gusu Lan sect, isn't it awkward to share a room with them!

And in no way will I stay with Lan Zhan, even if he tells me to. He avoids skin contact. And I have no self control when I sleep! The other disciples will also not share bed with him, even if it leads to a sleepless night. They fear him so much!

What shall I do now? Start my journey towards the Lotus Pier? Or go out in the streets drinking liquor and chatting with people? Or...

- "You can stay in mine." Lan Wangji's voice broke the trail of Wei Wuxian's thoughts.

- "What !!"

- "Young Masters, you seem to be friends. You can share a room. Our rooms are spacious enough to accommodate two people. I will send hot water for you to clean up."
He handed the keys and directed one worker to prepare the fire.

Wei Wuxian for a moment, thought to decline Lan Wangji. But considering that he knew him atleast more than he knew the  others, he didn't say anything in opposition.

While walking back, a man, or specifically a boy, caught Wei Wuxian's attention. He was dining with two other people, who seemed to be in their mid twenties, a line of worry profoundly visible on their faces. The face looked familiar, but Wei Wuxian couldn't recall when or where he had seen it, not even after staring for straight a minute.

So, instead of racking his brain, he quickly increased his pace and followed Lan Wangji to their room.

.

Wei Wuxian lay on the right side of the bed, facing the wall, trying to move further away. After he was sure that there was enough space between the two, that in no way can their bodies collide, he fell asleep.

Thirty minutes into the sleep, and he was tossing and turning around, trying to hold onto something. After a long search with closed eyes, he finally found a more comfortable place and fell into deep slumber.

---------

The next morning for Lan Wangji started with a shock.

He was stupefied when he opened his eyes and felt his body - Wei Wuxian was lying in his arms! What was even more surprising was that his own arms were securely wrapped around the other's body.

Slowly as he came back to his senses, something from the last night flashed across his mind.

He was already asleep when he felt someone was trying to rest against him. He moved further away, but the person suddenly placed himself in his arms and without thinking much, he stopped struggling, exhausted as he was, allowed the other to lie there and fell asleep again.

The sun shone brightly through the windowsill. The heat was not extreme as it was still early in the morning. Lan Wangji removed the quilt and as slowly turned his head, his eyes caught the sleeping face.

Wei Wuxian was sleeping like a baby, like he was the last person who would cause any trouble, as if there could be no one more innocent than him.

This was the first time Lan Wangji was properly looking at the sleeping figure. That face has some kind of charm in in it.

Shaking off his thoughts immediately, he started to detangle his body. But what happened as a result was that a nose was nuzzled on his chest with a small pout and the boy in his arms moved upwards such that his head was now lying in the nape of his neck, warm breaths touching his collarbone and hands wrapped more tightly around his waist.

Lan Wangji froze.

To his utter disbelief, his heart started beating faster. Not sure what exactly was happening to him, the jade tried to move again, but failed miserably. So he lay there for a couple of minutes, stiff like wood, trying to gather his thoughts.

Finding no other way out, he called out in a whisper," Wei Ying "

No response.

So, he called out again for the second time, his pitch a bit higher ," Wei Ying "

The sleeping man finally moved a bit, struggling to open his tightly shut eyelids and when he was halfway through it, he jerked himself back, as if struck by lightning.

"Lan Zhan, what are you doing in my ..." , he stopped abruptly between his sentence to realise that Lan Wangji was not on his side of the bed, it was he who was on the wrong side.

"Lan Zhan, I ... I ... I am sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. Please dont get angry."

-  "Get ready. We have to leave".

Having said what was important, Lan Wangji went out quickly to find something for breakfast. He could not quite understand why he was not angry or disgusted with the closeness that he had experienced just now. There was not the slightest trace of any negative feeling in his heart.

Left alone in the room, Wei Wuxian facepalmed himself. How can I cuddle with someone who try to avoid skin contacts as much as possible! But there was another feeling, except guilt, that was surging in his heart when he remembered the warmth he felt in that embrace and the husky voice that called out his name, for the first time.  He turned his head, sniffing his shoulders as an aroma of sandalwood satisfied his olfactory lobes.
Lan Wangi's voice kept replaying in his mind, and he could feel his cheeks go hot. Whether it was because of the faint sunlight that was playing on his fair skin, or because of something else that he felt better not to consider, it was not clear.

Trying his best to push aside these dangerous feelings, he hopped down and quickly went outside to get some fresh air.