Chapter 6 - Bribing a Lan

Jiang Cheng was flooded with questions as soon as he joined his brother for lunch, and those were not about his experince in his first class, the subjects taught or his new friends, but about a another boy who happened to be in golden robes.

- "What kind of stupid question is that? He is wearing Jin clan robes, so obviously he is from the Jin clan. His is Jin Guangyao, the youngest son of the clan leader." Jiang Cheng was annoyed.

- "Then, why didn't we see him during our stay at Koi tower?"  Wei Wuxian questioned again.

- " Wei Wuxian, how will I know that? If you are done with your investigation, can we just go and have our lunch? And stop finding troubles for yourself. Father has sent us here to study."  He walked away without without waiting for his brother.

- " Hey, Jiang Cheng, wait! " Wei Wuxian called, mentally noting to ask Lan Wangji or Zewu Jun about this later. He now focused on something that made him worry more.

- "Jiang Cheng, why has Shijie and the peacock not arrived yet? Shall we write them a letter?"

-" But how? We need permission to send any personal letter through a Lan messenger.We are not in lotus pier." No matter how annoyed Jiang Cheng was, he loved his sister and could not worry less.

Wei Wuxian's gaze fell on Lan Wangji who was having his meal gracefully. He smiled a little before telling Jiang Cheng about his newly bloomed idea. The other disapproved instantly, but his disapproval went in vain as his brother was determined in carrying out his plan.

The next day, Wei Wuxian followed Lan Wangji to the library after their lunch. It was cool inside, and the silence was enough to calm anyone. Numerous book lay on the wooden racks, arranged neatly and in order.  A large window on one side allowed fresh air to fill the room with the sweet scent of a magnolia tree.

Wei Wuxian walked slowly, not to disturb the fragrant silence that was lingering in the room. When Lan Wangji seated himself, Wei Wuxian approached him and sat on the opposite side. The 'cold person'  had never responded much to his comments, but Wei Wuxian being Wei Wuxian couldn't care less. He started speaking-

- " Lan Zhan, I was bored out there. So, I came to the library. Recommend me some interesting books."

- " 'The Lan principles', on the second shelf  to the right."

- "Ahhh!? ... Something else ... !"

- " 'History of the Great Clans', third shelf to the left. 'Conscience and Morality', the shelf below it."

- " Lan Zhan! Let's just forget about the  books. Ok?" Wei Wuxian let out a nervous laugh and realised his mistake of asking suggestion for books from this person sitting opposite to him, "Why don't we talk about something else ? Like, what is your favourite gift, where do you like to visit during vacations."

- "   "

- " Lan Zhan, we finished our classes just now. Don't go back to study immediately. Tell me what do you like as a gift."

- "Nothing specific."

- "The great second young master Lan is indeed very generous! Lan Zhan, do you like the famous Emperor's smile?"

- "Drinking is prohibited in cloud recess."

- "I know. I know. But have you never tried tasting it? It is fragrant and mellow, refreshing but not aggressive, smooth and powerful. Want to have a taste? I can help you."

- " No"

- "Ehh, Lan Zhan! So boring. Then, how about I bring you to Yunmeng when I go back? You can taste some spicy and delicious foods. I'll also ask Shijie to come for a visit and make you her special lotus root and ribs soup. Oh, talking about Shijie, do you know, why her husband is not attending the class?"

- "No."

- "Huh? The first question or the second?"

- "Both."

"Hmph! Lan Zhan, how can you always respond in negative to everything? Lan Zhan, let me tell you something interesting- the girls in Yunmeng are really pretty. I haven't seen any female cultivator here. Don't you feel like speaking with maidens or courting them? I'll help you to learn skills to grab their attention." He gave him a sly smile before continuing," So, are you coming with me to Yunmeng to have fun and meet with the pretty maidens?"

- " No."

" Lan Zhan, if you don't learn the skills now, you are going to stay single forever. Don't have to come to Yunmeng, how about I give you a free lesson here? You can absolutely trust me on th ... mmm....mmmmmm.. mmmmmmm "

So hard to please!

Wei Wuxian was both angry and surprised. Not only did his plan not work to trick the second young master Lan to write a letter to Yanli on behalf of him, but also he was silenced.

He stomped his feet and signalled Lan Wangji to remove the spell,  but when it didn't work, he took Lan Wangji's paper and brush and kept scribbling about how disappointed he was by this behaviour, how unfriendly the the boy was and how no one will consider the possibility of making him their lover.

He rubbed his nose in despondance without noticing his ink-stained fingers and pouted, refusing to get up without taking a revenge against the Lan who kept avoiding him and silencing him.

Adding chilli oil in his food, pouring alcohol in his tea cup or asking a maiden to tease him- which one will be better? Or shall I try all of these? Hehe.

Wei Wuxian was pondering about these mischievous plans when a handkerchief landed on his face, gently wiping his nose. He was surprised by the sudden touch of the  soft fabric and turned his head to meet a face that was too close to his' - skin as white as jade, the contours sharp yet delicate as if it was the most beautiful creation of God, the most handsome person alive! He kept staring until Lan Wangji finished his work and retracted his hand, sitting back properly from his slightly elevated position.

- " You had ink on your nose." Lan Wangji justified his actions.

- "Oh!" Wei Wuxian replied breaking his stare,"Thank you... ummm ...I think I should leave now...Jiang Cheng is waiting for me." He turned around and left, as fast as his feet could carry him, with a heart that was now pounding crazily. 

As soon as Wei Wuxian left, Lan Wangji released a breath which he didn't know he was holding. He couldn't comprehend what actually he had done-  his hands had raised on it's own as if it had a mind that was directing it differently than the original mind of its owner as it reached the other's face. Or was his hand listening to his heart instead of his brain!