Chapter 13 - The mysterious boy-II

The forest was dense with a thicker undergrowth. Being situated at a higher altitude made it cooler than rest of the cloud recess and both of the boys felt the chilly wind sending shivers down their spine. They continued nonetheless, controlling their speed so as not to make any sound.

After a few minutes of walking through the tall trees that looked almost similar, Wei Wuxian whispered, "Lan Zhan, do you feel the same thing?"

- "Mnn. We are going in circles."

- "Do you think he has lost his way? Or is he doing it on purpose to baffle us? He seemed like he knew this way too well to get lost. Shall we stop following and show ourselves up?"

- "Be careful."

They both nodded before moving swiftly and blocking the road with their swords. But, before they could see the face properly or question anything, the boy tapped on a small scribbled paper and vanished into the air.

"A transportation talisman", Wei Wuxian confirmed.

----------------------

"Huaisang, is everyone from your class present here?" Wei Wuxian questioned in a low voice, trying to figure out any missing person when they gathered for a assembly the next morning.

Lan Qiren had called for everyone to declare some new addition of rules to the already existent list of three thousand. It was devised mainly to restrain the movement of the junior disciples within the cloud recess and also to inform every clan member about the measures that had been taken to ensure their safety. The simultaneous incidents during the night hunt had an effect on everyone and Lan Qiren, as the responsible clan leader he was, did everything possible to reassure them.

-"Wei-xiong, the old master has himself called for the meeting. Do you think anyone will have the courage to be absent? ... Why do you ask?"

- "Nothing. I was just searching for company. Hehe."

- " I am also feeling bored actually." Nie Huaisang replied holding his fan to cover his face, but as soon as he turned to his side, to his dismay, he saw Lan Wangji looking in their direction, which also meant that he had listened to their plan of trying to slip out of the assembly. Soon all the blood seemed to drain out of his face and it would have turned completely white if Wei Wuxian had not interrupted him-

"Oh, why don't I see clan leader Jin's younger son? Jiang Cheng told me that he is in your class?"

- "Wei-xiong, haven't you heard? He was found unconscious this morning and was shifted to the healer's quarters." He brought his face closer to whisper out the last part,"I heard some seniors speaking that his body has suddenly become so weak that they couldn't find a vein. It is so weird to happen in one night. He seemed absolutely fine yesterday."

- "Do you hear anything about how it happened?"

- "I could have heard a lot more if not for this morning assembly. The seniors were searching his room for any clue. What I could make out from a few words that I had heard was that his room had no traces of anything foreign."

Wei Wuxian turned to Lan Wangji who was already looking at him with a thoughtful expression. They made their way to Lan Xichen's room after they were dismissed, asking him to accompany them to their uncle's room for a serious discussion.

- "Before we continue further, Zewu Jun, can you tell us what is the level of cultivation of Jin Guangyao?" Wei Wuxian asked after he had revealed the happenings of the last night.

- "His cultivation is not very high. But, he has got a good memory and is quick to learn things." Lan Xichen replied.

- "And that explains everything. He did not have the required amount of energy needed to use a transportation talisman. He overdid and drained himself, which led to his state of unconsciousness. "