1

July 6th, 2022

Hello,my name is Darleen Fleming, I am 18 years old (Soon 19) and I am a criminologystudent. But, that is not the most important thing, the most important thing inthis story is what is happening now, not what I did before or what I willcontinue to do later.

"Can you remind me again where we are going?" I asked with disinterest.

"We are going to your uncle Jeffrey's house, he had invited us, don't you remember?" No, the truth is that I remembered but only the half of it I still have a lot of things to think of for example: Why did my father start to feel bad a few days after coming here a few weeks ago? How to think of a stupid invitation.

"No, I had forgotten" Lie Darleen, you didn't forget, your hatred towards him made you think you had forgotten.

"Well now you remember". I'll try but I don't know how long it will last in my memory.

"We're leaving here before my birthday right?"I hate my uncle too much and "celebrating" my birthday at his house would really be horrible.

"I know you hate that house, but we really have to go" It's not the house that I hate, what I hate is the owner, and no, we shouldn't really go there, let alone knowing what happened last time.

"Hey Darleen, are you okay?" Define being okay, if that's what everyone thinks is "be okay" then I'm not okay, I never was.

"Lately, you're forgetting a lot of things, even more than before, are you sure you're okay?" Yes, if we talk about lying if we're okay or not, then yes, I'm okay, I always have been.

"Yes mom, I'm fine" What a big liar you are Darleen.

"Ok, get ready, we're almost there" I hate those words.

I will give you a summary (it may be short or it may not). Basically, my mother and I are here in a small town in Minnesota called Dorset, traveling two hours from our house, just because my uncle came up with the great idea that we come here just so he can "comfort" my mother after of my father's death. Although I don't know how because the funeral is in two days, that being the second reason why we came here.

I got out of the car, and when I put my foot on the ground for the first time in two hours, I could feel the sun's rays touching my skin, it makes my freckled skin itch. I went through what was necessary to go to the trunk to get my things out of there, which will be in these hateful places for a while, of course, in my opinión.

From here I can foresee everything that will go wrong, which could be before, during or after my father's funeral. But what I could already hear was my seven-year-old cousin Leanna, she was running, as always, while her mother tells her to stop so she can receive us properly.

"Well Darleen, time to ge tinto the house" Words that my mother issued, internally she was smiling because of my cousin, but that smile invisible to the human eye has already disappeared.

We started walking towards the door, each step I took was another thought that came to mind. What if now the one who is going to die is my mother, what the hell can happen at the funeral, and if the one who dies now is me. These were the thoughts that could even make me forget to walk and fall. But there is something that worries me more, the real reason why we are here, and why my brother did not agree to come with us.

My mother rang the doorbell of the house, although I think that the last time we came here it was broken, and knowing my uncle, he will not have fixed it, but he will complain that he can't hear anything, and then his wife will complain more, and thus starting the discussions of this small part of a dysfunctional family