19

Goddamn bikini top.

You glared at the broken bikini top before throwing it in the trash. The cause of my downfall. Gojo's eyes followed you as you went back your the sun bathing bed. You were physically here, but you're mind was elsewhere. All because of a certain raven-haired man. You can feel your friend's curious gaze on you, watching you beside your bed. He laid with his arms folded under his head, shades pushed back to his hair, revealing his forehead. You often tease how big it is but he doesn't get offended because it's true.

"Say it."

His head turned to you. "What?"

"Just say whatever you want to say." you can see from your peripheral vision that he's turning his body halfway to you.

He hesitated. "Are you sure?"

You sigh. "Yeah. Just spit it out."

He was quiet for a moment. The mothers on his right were laughing about something that involved their husbands. The men chuckled beside them, joining the conversation. Gojo pressed his lips together and focused his eyes on the ocean. You followed his gaze, realizing he was actually looking at Megumi and Toji playing with the sand. You can't help but stare, too. They look like they're lost in their own little world.

"I've been thinking..." he trailed off. You take your eyes off of them and looked at Gojo's side profile, waiting for him to finish the sentence.

He nods at the two, "Where and when did Toji got his scars?"

You paused for a moment. Gojo wasn't an insensitive person, but he was always curious man, always wanting to know something. You know that he's probably dying to know the story behind Toji's scars, but never actually asked Toji about it. I mean, asking someone about their scars are considered offensive. However, for the past few years... you've never actually known the whole story behind Toji's scar.

Well, plural, now. Scars.

You've noticed it back when he took a shower at your room. And when he was shirtless at the kitchen, the night where you broke down in front of him. You stared at the big, ugly scars on his back, as if someone slashed him multiple times. Yet, you still didn't question him... because why would you? It would be a sensitive topic and it will make both of you vulnerable, which will result to more than a closure, and reopen wounds.

You don't recall seeing those scars when you were both sharing a bed before. The scar on his lips is the only one you're aware of... but the scars on his back? It was new to your eyes. 

Both you and Gojo are curious, after all.

He noticed your hesitation. "Ya know it's fine if you don't want to tell me, right?"

You shake your head. "No... it's not that I don't want to." Hesitation. "I just... don't know how he got it, either." you bite your lower lip.

He was surprised at your answer. He leaned closer to whisper, "What? Even the one on his lips?" his eyes were wide now.

All this time, you thought you know Toji. You vaguely remember his explanation about the scar on his lip, but you know it was something about him defending himself to the bullies. Toji lost his parents when he was still a kid, and he struggled to get along with the kids at school, because they often mock him about having no family... no one to run to. That was the only thing you knew. 

You weren't too worried then because it was in the past, and it was for defense... but now, maybe you should be worried. He was gone for two years, his personality never changed, but his body sure did. Not did he just got bulkier, but there were additional scary-looking scars. You remember seeing a scar under the sleeve of his shirt when he first walked into your house, and... it wasn't there before.