27

Toji.

Y/N's birthday.

The moment I opened my eyes, I knew what day it was. Remembered whose day it is today, even if Y/N didn't say anything about it yesterday.

How could I forget? On her 22nd birthday, I tattooed her initials on my left pec. It wasn't an impulsive decision, it was all planned weeks before. That was my gift for her, to prove to her that she's my everything. No matter what happens, these initials on my chest is the symbol of my love for her. She'll always be a part of me until I die.

I had no plans on removing it before, and I sure as hell don't have now. Staring at the tattoo with her initials, my heart clenched at how happy Y/N looked yesterday, and the edge of my lips lifted when I think it's because she's with me. Even though I kinda fucked up by not checking if her sister was still downstairs when I went down.

She forgave me when I went down on her at her bathroom, anyway.

Still, last night before I go, I was so close to telling her that I wanted to spend another night with her and Megumi... but I didn't. I wanted her to heal. I want her to trust me again with her whole heart, without doubts in her head whenever I'm around. We're taking it slow, and I'll take it— anything, if it means her accepting me in their life again.

I can't let my family down again.

I walked out of my apartment, spinning my keys as I observe my surroundings. My neighbor from across the street is an old man who gets visit from his grandkids more often than his son, bringing him foods, and they always stay with him during weekends. Beside the apartment I'm in, there's a college student living alone who jogs in the morning, often returning with coffee in her hand. And to my right, there's a small family living their best life, and two golden retrievers who loved nothing more than their owners.

That's why I try my best to not be transparent to everyone's eyes. Dangerous isn't even the word... because it's always inevitable.

I knew everyone in the block, because I had to. Being cautious after what happened is not new. An ex-military will always bring with him the lessons he learned... and the truths he unveiled will always haunt him. I will never see myself as a normal citizen ever again, even if I try to.

Especially since I became a hitman.

Shaking the thought off, I took one last glance at my apartment before I got inside my truck. I decided not to send Y/N a message today, because I wanted to surprise her this morning, before I drive Megumi to the daycare.

The drive towards the famous bakery in town was short, just a few minutes away from Y/N's house. I stepped out of my truck, and slammed it close, looking sideways before walking inside the shop. There aren't much people around, since it's only 8 in the morning.

I make my way to the counter, bringing out my wallet to get the receipt. Two days ago, I went here to tell them my order, saying that I needed the cake today. I wanted to surprise her with a cake, hoping she'd like the gesture.

The person standing behind the counter was different from the person who took my order the other day. When I neared him, he glanced up at and blinked a few times at me. I slapped the receipt on the counter, "Fushiguro. Claiming the cake I ordered today." I timidly say while tapping my fingers, then glanced outside.

"Good morning, s-sir... Of course..." I can feel him staring at me for a few moments before he scurried away. I bring my hand up to rub the stubble growing on my jaw, making a mental note to ask Y/N if shaving it is better or not. While waiting, I imagine Y/N's face when I surprise her later. Will she hug me? Will her cheeks heat up? Will she kiss me? Will she be happy?