Prologue

My mom gently squeezes my arm as we stride down the stairs into the Town Hall, which Mom managed to persuade the mayor to let us hire for a discounted rate. As I look out over the heads, I almost feel like the whole town has turned out for my birthday - which is unrealistic, I know deep down, but it's nice to imagine. Right at the front of the crowd, my best friend, Max beams up at me, his green eyes twinkling under the lights of the chandeliers. His little brother dashes past me and up to my sister, Georgia, grinning and grabbing her hand to pull her out into the crowd. Georgia's blonde hair spills out like a flag behind her, the only feature we have in common. 

Mom pushes me shamelessly towards the mayor's son, Robert, as she's obsessed with finally removing the taint of being former sixes from our family. I shoot a glare at her over my shoulder, but she only winks and starts to gossip with one of her friends. 

Robert bows his head politely and I quickly curtsy, flushing red instinctively. 

"Happy birthday, Miss Georges," Robert says, shaking my hand, "I hope you have a lovely night."

He drops my hand and disappears into the crowd, presumably searching out better company than the an eighteen year old cleaner. 

Max appears behind me and pokes my shoulder, handing me a cupcake with his other hand, reassuring me instinctively, "Screw him, Marie, he's just snobby."

"Eloquent, Max, aren't you meant to go to college next year?" I remind him, taking the cupcake gratefully. 

"Of course I am, but that doesn't mean I can't judge people whilst I'm here," Max says, stealing a finger of icing from the top of the cupcake. 

I sigh, breaking off a piece of the cupcake, "I wish I could go to college."

"Let's not have this discussion again, Marie, you know that you could if you wanted to with your absurd amount of money you've saved up, but you just want to be dramatic and pretend the Selection is your best shot," Max points out, grabbing my hand, "Come on, let's dance!"

He wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me out onto the dance floor, whirling me around. I laugh breathlessly, trying to remember the steps that Mom taught me this morning.

Mom grins at me from the edge of the dance floor, completely disregarding the Officer attempting to get her attention next to her. Even at thirty-eight, my mom is totally stunning, just like both of my sisters. Her red hair still cascades down to her waist, completely unaffected by the ten years of scrimping since my father died. Esmay appears at her side, with Carter in tow as usual, muttering something to her urgently. 

Max puts a hand on my cheek gently and turns my face back to his, then suddenly his lips are on my own and, whilst it's not unpleasant, it's weird kissing my best friend. I pull away from him abruptly, "What are you doing?"

Max snatches himself away from me and storms out of the front doors of the town hall, leaving me staring after him.