Chapter 7

Alone in my room, I pace up and down; why did Amalie hug those girls and why did her and Esmay walk off with their arms around the lonely girls shoulders?

I throw myself down on my bed and snatch up my phone. I unlock it and tap in my password. I open my messaging app and tap out a text to Sophie. I send it quickly. I knock on my maids' door. It swings open and May rushes out. "My lady, what's wrong??" She says.

"May, I need my most pretty dress for breakfast tomorrow." She nods and opens my wardrobe.  My lunch and dinner have already been served so the evening stretches out in front of me as I had spent my afternoon in Sophie's room with her and Cherry. I snap out of it as May flourishes a dress at me. She holds an ornate gold dress up against up against me. I wave it away and she throws it on the bed and grabs a pink floral thing I wave about 30 dresses away until she holds up a turquoise dress with a sweetheart neckline; fitted sequinned bust and a long tulle skirt. I nod and she hangs it on my wardrobe door. She rings a bell and Rosie appears. "Please will you put away these dresses?" May asks. Rosie gathers them up and steps into the walk-in wardrobe. I follow May into the walk-in wardrobe and she pulls out a drawer filled with shoes. I reach in and pick up a pair of strappy silver heels. She nods and puts them at the base of the door. I yawn and Hero rushes in. She gestures for me to follow her as she opens the door to the bathroom which releases a wave of steam. She hands me a basket of bath bombs and I drop in the bath. She helps me out of my clothes and I hop in the bath and relax. She washes my hair and clips it up before she steps out of the room and I relax. She comes back in with a warm towel. I climb out of the large bath and she wraps me up before helping me dry off.

After having my hair dried, I climb onto the large bed and then I slip into the bed. The maids slide out of the room into theirs, yawning. I give in to sleep.

As I wake up, the early morning sun streams in the curtains. Hero hovers by the bed and folds back the covers as she sees my eyes open. I scramble off the bed. May rushes me into the walk-in wardrobe and helps me into the dress. She neatly does up the zip and Rosie straps my feet into the heels. I sit down in front of the vanity and Hero applies my make-up. May comes in with a set of heated curlers and begins to curl my hair into delicate, soft curls. She pins them back and sprays me with strawberry perfume.

Rosie comes and bustles me out of the door. I straighten up and begin to step delicately down the corridor. I feel over-dressed as the servants clap when I walk along the corridor. But all of this changes when I step into the women's room where a sea of brightly coloured dresses startle me. I make my way over to the buffet table where Sophie is stood. "You look breathtaking!" She gasps. Her dress is red and shimmering so I return the compliment.

Prince Caxon enters and gestures for us to eat by grabbing a plate and loading it with food. He circulates the room and chats with various other girls before strolling up to me. "My, lady," He says, kissing my hand, "Will you go on a date with me today?"

"Your highness," I curtsey, "I would be honoured." We both burst out laughing.

"My lady, you may want to change for riding though. Meet me at the stables in an hour. You get the first date."

"It is an honour, your highness." I agree. He walks away to talk to Sophie and I turn to Cherry, giggling. An hour later, I'm running down to the stables wearing some jeans and a plaid shirt, my long, curled hair streaming out behind me. When I get there, I feel a wave of adoration for Caxon so I fling my arms around him. I let go when he starts gasping, "I can't breath, release me!!" He picks up a lilac riding helmet and places it on my head, stroking his hand down my cheek to do up the clip. I blush and gasp at his touch. He smiles and blushes as well.

"Let's get riding." I stammer. He grins and agrees.

"You're on Starlight and I'm on Victory." He announces, leading two horses out of the stables. He passes the reins of the palomino to me and vaulting up onto the chestnut. I lead Starlight to the mounting block and vault up easily. I've been riding horses since I was three. "I have a surprise for you when we get to the end of the ride." He informs me. We gallop off towards the edge of the palace grounds until we reach the forest. Caxon gestures that I should follow him. I hold Starlight back until Caxon is ahead of me and then I urge her into a trot as there isn't enough space for galloping.