Chapter 10

"Oof!" I say as I flop down on my bed. Hero comes in and looks at me strangely as she shakes her head. May comes in and hands me a pink ball gown for dinner. She also holds some kitten heels. She places them tenderly down next to me. 

"Right, get up, it's the Report tonight so we're spending longer on you getting ready. So go get in the bathroom!" May exclaims, and chases me into the bathroom. She helps me out of my clothes and I get in the bath. 

She rubs strawberry shampoo into my scalp as I rub vanilla soap on my body. She twirls my hair up after conditioning. I get out very fast because May reminds me of the time. I wrap myself in a towel to dry myself as May dries my hair. 

Rosie calls for May just as she finishes drying my hair. May dashes off and I put my robe on. I follow her into my bedroom as Rosie is proudly showing May the sequinned sections on the bodice of my dress. 

"Well done, Rosie," May praises, "Oh, hello, Hero," she turns as Hero comes in on her crutches. Hero gives her a sad smile and sits gracefully down on a small stool that May places down for her. Rosie passes me a small tee and a pair of shorts. 

Hero is just brandishing a set of curlers towards my head as a purposeful knock sounds on the door. I signal for May to open it whilst Hero places the curlers down, turning them off. I pull my hair over my shoulders and shiver, causing Rosie to place my robe around my shoulders. 

"Hey Marie," Caxon says as he strolls through my door, "Good luck with the Report and meet me afterwards in the cinema. But you're not the reason I am here, I am here to talk to your maids."

At this sentence, a tall man strides through the door and bows to me and Caxon. 

"My lady," He says as he slickly kisses my hand, "A pleasure to meet you, I am  the Head of the Royal household." I can hear the self-importance in his tone so I give a diplomatic response, "A delight to meet you, sir," I then address Caxon, "Would you care to talk with my maids in the receiving chamber, Your Highness?"

He nods briskly and the maids trot off neatly after him into the room. The man follows after him with a casual bow in my general direction. I go neatly into my wardrobe to examine my dress. I have to say that it is beautiful but this is only a vague thought as I am dying to know what they are saying. It has a beautiful, flowing tulle skirt. The back is see-through with a hint of pink and I know that this will accentuate my beautiful tan that has been improved by the lovely spray tans here at the Palace.

I go to the jewellery box provided by the Palace and pick out some diamond pieces to wear with it. I slip back into my room, leaving the jewellery with the dress and listen silently at the door. Sentences drift out, 'better placement', 'more suited to the entailments of the job', 'I could never do that!' The last was a distraught cry from May. 

I go and sit down at my desk and cradle a china teacup filled with some expensive tea. I look up as if startled as they come out, Hero's been crying and May is half-smiling with tears in her eyes. 

"My lady, Miss Hero will be moved into making dresses for you and Miss May will be moved into the position of head maid. This will not inconvenience you as we will give you a replacement maid who will assist you as Miss Rosie does currently." Caxon informs me in a bland tone. 

The man leaves abruptly. I rush and put my arms around Hero as she bursts into tears. 

She blubs goodbye in between the sobs. I take Caxon by the arm and drag him away. 

"How could you do this to Hero? Her job means the world to her and she was so proud to be my head maid." I break off as Caxon brings his lips to mine murmuring that he was sorry and she could stay for another week.I kiss him back then run out of the room. fter a while I hear the door click shut. "Hero, you have been given an extension to keep working for another week but you will have to sleep in the maids' quarters as there is a replacement maid coming."