Ch.6

"Drinking again?" she questions as she slides onto the seat next to yours.

You look up, you are already familiar with her voice, how her vowels are drawn out nasally, but that does not entirely mean you do not have to see her to really register that she is here with you.

And also, you have to make sure she will not join you drinking, not when she is still on her way to full recovery.

You have released her with a clean bill of health just a week ago, and it started to feel weird not to see her everyday like you've had for the whole duration she was warded, and because you are not the doctor responsible for her checkup after, it has really been a while, so you are incredibly happy to see her again.

"Yeahh," you slur as a rather delayed answer. You are somewhat aware of how you have drunk more than you could possibly handle. "Tomorrow is my, uhm, my day off and I..."

"...and you?"

"I'm just... hurting."

She almost jumps on you, but managed to stop herself to not to be too hasty. You think she has come to a better understanding of you. Maybe even better than you could ever be. "Haven't you always been?"

You chuckle a little at the truth spoken. "Yes, you're right, Juyeon."

"What happened?" she asks, scooting her chair closer to you.

"Well... It's more of a 'how' it happened."

You don't delve right into it. Instead, you turn away from her, looking at your empty glass. You know she is watching you, you feel it - her gaze is gentle as her voice soothes you. "It's okay if you can't find the words right now."

You nod, already a bit drowsy from your drunkenness. You blink twice at her, thinking. "Would you... please take me home?"

"Of course," she answers, determined. She settles your bill, and this time around, you don't protest, only reaching out to her arm and holding it with the firmest grip your drunken self could manage. She does not shy away. "Hop on my back?"

"Your injury..." you murmur questioningly, worried.

"What about it?" she asks, lowering her back for you to climb on.

"Is it really fine... for you to bear my weight?"

"How else am I going to take you home? I'll be ok, you're tiny."

You're a doctor, and you know well that she should not be overexerting herself no matter how light you are, so you hold her shoulders and attempt to lift her back from the cold ground, though she doesn't budge. "Come on," you gasp, just so she understands what you are trying to do. "I'll walk... to your car, just, um- just keep me upright?"

"Okay," she laughs softly, getting in position to support you as you get ready to wobble your way to her car. "If it serves you better."

It takes a longer time to get to her car than what should have had you allow her to carry you, but you feel a bit better about yourself like this.

She offers you a bottled water once you are settled in the shotgun seat, and you down it quickly, thirsty after drinking lots of alcohol.

You don't talk, and she doesn't ask.

-----

"Will you stay?" you implore, holding her pinky finger when she is retreating after placing you gently on your couch.

She looks surprised at your request to say the least. "Stay?"

"You did so before..." you recall, and then shakes your head right after. You already feel a bit better from drinking some water, and you can't deny that her presence is helping tremendously. "It's fine if you can't. I understand."