Ch.14

The breeze passing by is chilly, but somehow, you do not quite mind it. It is getting a bit dark, the evening transitioning seamlessly to night, a mix of orange and violet tint washed through the sky that you love (and you love so much easier now) and you think it is going to get colder soon, so it might be a good idea to get back inside. You pull your coat closer to you, watching your breath escape in visible puffs of air.

The sound of leaves crunching under a few steps alerts you to someone approaching. "Hey, Jiyeon?"

Your shoulders rest easy knowing it is just Luda. You turn towards her, a small smile etched on your face. "Yes?"

"What are you doing out here all alone?" Luda asks, chastising you slightly. "Aren't you cold? You know you just recovered from a fever."

"I just needed a quick breather," you offer Luda a smile, convincing enough that she gets off your case immediately. Or it might also be because Luda is incapable of getting mad at you. You pat the empty spot next to you on the bench. "Join me?"

Luda sits with a sigh, and you look at her, appreciation evident in your stare. "Thank you for taking care of me the last few days."

With a quick shake of her head, Luda chuckles, very much amused with the state she found you in a few days ago. "I was worried what kind of emergency you'd be in when you called, but it was just a silly case of 'I kissed someone who has a fever and now I'm down with it too. Send help?'"

"I guess that's why I'm not a nurse." you joke, garnering more delighted chuckles from Luda. At least she can appreciate your silly jests.

"I guess so. It's fine that way though, because you are a very good doctor, and losing you would be too much. In the past few weeks, we struggled a lot in the emergency room without you there," she agrees with you, still grinning when she sees your slightly flustered cheeks, red from her compliments. She then leans back onto the bench, looking up to the sky, before she switches her gaze to you. "So, what now?"

"Hm?"

"What are you going to do now? With... you know, with everything."

"I'm not so sure myself." you answer with a laugh. You fear that it is the truth.

You look up as well, breathing in the cold air. There is little warmth left from the sun at this hour, but you try to bask in what little is there for you, your eyes closed to feel them better, easier. In a bit of reluctance, you open your eyes, and it is at this moment that Luda would have been able to see the faraway look in your eyes. And you don't mind that she is the one to see it.

The last few days have guaranteed that you would grow closer to Luda. She had to be the one to care for you, considering that Hyunjung is a lot more sensitive, and she is far too susceptible to get infected due to her weaker immune system (it is a wonder how she manages with her long hours as a nurse). She and Luda too, knows Juyeon's and Dayoung's secrets. And while the smaller of the couple seems to be enlightened with it, you fear that they will voice out their concern at any point in time, and have it been known publicly.

Unless... Dayoung has even Luda and Hyunjung under her control.

Surely, they have done something more treacherous than just silencing someone, yes?

"Has Dayoung talked to you?" you try, picking on your hospital staff card idly.

"No," Luda answers with a shrug. "Nothing ever since that day at the safe house, I'm afraid. Radio silence."

"What about Juyeon?"

"She's too busy staring at you with stars in her eyes whenever I see her," Luda teases, liking the red that dust your cheeks in an immediate reaction. "But no, she didn't like, threaten me with my life or Hyunjung's life or my job to ensure I stay quiet, so..." Luda coughs into her hand, and that alerts you that you might have been out here for too long in too little layers. "How is she anyway?"