Ch.2

"Hey," you heard her greeting so suddenly that the plate you're holding slips from your hand when you turn to face her in shock. It didn't crash into tiny pieces all over your kitchen floor however, as she catches it deftly on its way down. "Oop, careful."

You give her a stern glare as she hands you the plate back. "Could you please not prowl so quietly in my house? Make some noise when you move around, I can't take anymore of these surprises..."

She chuckles, shifting on her feet, testing the sound they make, or rather the lack of it, against your floorboards. "You've hit your daily limit?"

Instead of entertaining her, you issue a strict command. "Sit down, you must be hungry."

"Starving." she corrects you, her legs quickly making her way to the tall seat on your counter.

You watch her go, appreciating the way your shirt is filled just nicely when she wears it. You set the plate of the instant black bean noodles in front of her, and then places another serving for you. "It's a tight fit, right?"

"What's that? Oh, the shirt? Yeah, but that's probably because you're much too tiny and cute."

"You know I could kick your ass right now." If there's one thing you truly hate, it's people teasing you about your small stature.

Strangely you're not as angry about it now when you hear her answer to your little threat.

"Oh, I know, and I would probably let you," she grins cheerfully before saying her thanks for the food and digging in. Maybe you should save the ass kicking for after the both of you finish eating. "But if you want to really fit in this shirt, maybe not eating just instant stuffs would help. I found nothing but these things in your cupboards when I was searching for some meds. I'd tell you you need proper nutrition and all that but I figured you probably know better than me, it's your field."

"I take supplements, so I'm fine. Instant food is very convenient, I can store them for a long time and they're easy to make," you try to reason, looking around the small and rather bare kitchen. "I don't spend a lot of time in this place, either."

"Just to sleep?"

"Mostly," you give a small nod. "Maybe not even that, I spend more nights sleeping at the doctor's mess in the hospital."

She twirls the noodles around her chopsticks, possibly pondering on something. "i was surprised when I read your address. It's not located in a, well, in a very good neighborhood... I thought a lavished serviced condominium in the luxurious upstate location would be a better choice. You can easily afford one."

"This place might be cheap but it's more than enough because I live by myself, and it's close to the hospital. I could just walk there or make a short drive. I don't need much more than that, really."

She chews as she thinks, and you can feel her gaze on you. It takes her a while to say, "I've never known anyone like you."

You look up from your plate, finally meeting her gaze. "Is that a good thing?"

She smiles a little. "I don't know yet."

"Is there anything that you actually know about your own feelings?"

She lets out a happy tune as she chews. "When it comes to you, not a lot. But I'm willing to stick around to find out."

You don't say anything after that, just watching her pretty much inhaling her noodles. When she notices you watching her eating like there is no tomorrow, she flushes slightly. "Sorry, I did say I was starving, didn't I?"

"You sure did. Do you want me to cook you another pack?"

"Is that okay? I don't want to impose."

"After everything you've done, I think you've earnt the right to eat whatever instant food I have stocked here." you let a small smile form on your lips, a little exasperated, but grateful nonetheless. You leave your seat, letting your own half eaten noodles to rest first so that she doesn't have to wait a long time for her very much well deserved second serving.