Chapter 20 - It's Finalised

Italics is note

Katerína's POV

Clunking on my dorm room window snapped me out of my daze. For the past however long it was, I've been staring into the distance, thinking about all kinds of things, while stroking my cat, Oliver.

I guess this is what ending an innocent life does to people. The guilt is unbearable. I mean, I haven't ended an innocent life of a person yet. But I have killed a bird. Though the thought of having to kill an actual person... it scared me.

Either way, I looked towards the window to see what caused the clunking to find an owl. My father's owl. I scanned my room again, making sure that there actually was no one there, and quickly locked the door. Finally, I opened the window to let the owl in, giving her a treat and taking the envelope, leading to her flying out again.

I slowly opened the envelope, expecting bad news. And in a way, it was. Father sent me the wedding details. That means it's finalised. I was going to marry Draco. Which also meant I had to break up with Hermione. And I couldn't stall anymore. The longer we stayed together, the more it was going to hurt in the end.

Hermione's POV

I was reading in my dorm, but heard a clunking sound coming from my window. Looking up, I saw an owl. I opened the window, wondering why I was getting an owl so late. I took the small note from the owl, unrolling it to see a familiar handwriting.

Meet me at the astronomy tower after curfew.

-KEA

Normally I wouldn't break the rules without a reason, but so much has happened this year, the rules don't even seem to matter anymore. And since it was only 5 minutes until curfew, I left my dorm, going to meet Rina at the astronomy tower.

Time skip

After going up all the stairs to the astronomy tower, I finally arrived, locating a certain redhead girl leaning against the railing. "Hi." I said softly. Rina turned around, a small smile on her face, but quickly faltering as sadness filled her bright green eyes.

She opened her mouth to speak, but I cut her off. "Why did you punch Harry!?" I marched closer to her, a look of anger masking my face. "I- can we talk about that another time? I need to tell you something." Rina requested in a despairing voice. That's odd, she never shows any sort of emotion while speaking.

That's why I agreed, nodding, allowing her to say what she had to say, feeling worry rushing through my veins. "I- I think we should..." The redhead started saying, but stopped mid-sentence, the sadness in her eyes only growing.

"...break up." She finished her sentence. Tears filled my caramel brown eyes. Break up? She wanted to... break up? That couldn't be right. We had a good thing going on. Why would she want that?

Katerina's POV

"W- what?", was all Hermione managed to stammer out after a long moment of silence. "I want to break up." I repeated, looking away from her. "Why?" She asked, still not believing what was going on. I quickly thought of a reason, letting the lies spill out like it was the easiest thing to do.

"Like I've mentioned in the beginning of the year, at the end of the day, I'm a Slytherin, and you're a Gryffindor. We don't belong together. We're just... not meant to be." The tears started rolling down her cheeks. I hated seeing her cry, especially seeing that it was because of me. I looked away again, guilt running through my veins.

I kept repeating in my head that it was for the best. I was just keeping her safe, not letting her get mixed up with my messed up life. That still didn't stop me from wanting to call this whole act off. But I knew what's best for her, therefore, I continued lying. She could hate me all she wants, at least she's safe. Safe from me.

"And I told you, I don't care about that!" Hermione yelled back. "I'm sorry, Hermione, but... it's best if we weren't together. I can't be with you anymore. It's too hard." I muttered. I couldn't take the look on her face anymore, so I just left.

Hermione's POV

Silent tears continued rolling down my cheeks as Katerína rushed past me and left the astronomy tower. I didn't even turn back to watch her leave, I just stood there, staring into the distance.

Why would she want to break up? Did I do something wrong? Does she not like me anymore? Does it have something to do with her punching Harry the other day?

Questions flooded my head. Finally I let out a sob, dropping to my knees and crying without a care of the world.

813 words