Pollywog

Y/N POV~
I'm walking through the school hallways with Max waiting for the rest of the party to get here when she starts bringing up Will. "I still don't get why they call him zombie boy." She looks up at me. I'm at least an inch taller than her. "I mean, I get it. He got lost in the woods for a week or something, but why is he a zombie? Because everyone thought he was dead?"

"Yeah. I mean we had a funeral for him and everything." I answer.

"After a week?"

"Well, see, some other kid drowned at the quarry. We thought it was Will because his body was super decomposed." I add.

"What?" She stops walking and turns to look at me. "Okay, that's not funny."

"It's not a joke, all right? It's public knowledge." I say completely serious. "You can ask anybody. Except Will because he is really sensitive about it. All right?"

"Okay." She turns and we start walking again.

~Tiny Time Skip~

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time." Mr Clarke starts talking in-front of the class. "Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head. Phineas miraculously survived, he seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality."

I notice Max staring straight at the back of Will's head so I turn around and shoot her a look right before he turns around to look at her, after she looks away.

"So much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as 'No longer Gage'." Mr Clarke continues. "At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a-" suddenly the door swings open and in comes Dustin breathing heavily.

"I am so sorry, Mr Clarke." He apologizes and goes to take his seat. "Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me. Really, continue, please. Thanks."

"Although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said." Mr Clark starts with the lesson again.

"We have to meet. All of us. At lunch, AV Club." Dustin whispers all of us leaning forward to listen to him.

"Why?" Mike asks.

"I have something that you won't believe." Dustin says. All of us sit back up turning back to Mr Clarke as Dustin turns around to whisper to Max, "Av Club. Lunch." She sits forwards and nods.

"Dustin!" Mr Clarke stops teaching.

"Yes, my lord?" He asks. Oh my god my friend is so weird, I drop my head onto my desk.

"Would you care to join the class now?" Mr Clarke asks.

"Please, yes." Dustin replies.

"The case of Phineas Gage."

"Phineas Gage." Dustin repeats.

"Page 104." Mr Clarke tells him.

"104. 104." He repeats looking through his backpack and pulling out his textbook.

"Focus."

"Focusing. Focusing." Dustin nods and turns back to Max, "Av Club." And she shoots him a thumbs up.

"And he began to curse, using terrible words that I don't dare repeat here." Mr Clarke continues.

The rest of class I sit doodling in my notebook and glancing back at Max making sure she isn't looking at Will anymore, but half the time I'm pretty sure she was looking at me.