Fake smiles and red wines

"Which dress do you like better? Red or black?" Susan asks.

I am still exhausted. And I can't even hold up a hairbrush without my fingers shaking.

"I don't know. Can you get me some coffee?" I say, trying to sound as normal as possible.

"Won't that be your seventh cup in the last two hours?"

I nod, not understanding what's the problem.

Susan walks out and I turn my chair around to look at the mannequins that wear my two dress options.

The first one - A crimson ball gown with gold embellishments that remind me too much of blood.

And the other one - A black lace ball gown. Parts of it has glitter scattered around like stars in the night sky.

The only problem is how sleeveless it is. There are some scars that don't make you seem powerful. Just weak.

Maybe I can add some gloves...

"Hello!" Ocean greets, stepping into my dressing room.

She looks around, her eyes wide.

I am proud of my collection that ranges from ball gowns to power suits to sweat pants.

The room itself is... pretty. Ivory walls with silver patters on the corners of the walls.

Three floor length mirrors are set in perfect angle from a tiny dias where I stand as the maids make my outfit look as perfect as possible.

"Wow....this is...wow." Ocean breaths out.

I hum in response, rising up from my chair.

"You're not dressed yet?" I ask, taking a closer glance at the black dress.

"I am not going...why would I?" She asks as if I asked something incredibly stupid, "Commoners don't go to noble balls."

"Well, you're not a commoner anymore, are you? You live in the palace and you and Lucas are basically inseperable."

She blinks at me before breaking out into a huge smile which disappears as quickly as it came.

"That doesn't matter. It's still a noble ball."

I am not going to force her to come. I understand what that feels like. Being told what to do all your life. That shit's the worst.

But I can be a good friend.

I walk over to my closet, rummage through a few stuff and finally find what I was looking for.

I hand her the black dress cover that contains a beautiful blue satin and lace dress.

Simple, modest but absolutely breathtaking.

"If you do decide to come, this would look stunning on you."

She looks at me for a minute, opens her mouth to say something but shakes her head and just smiles before walking away.

And I am, once again, left all alone, in a prison- sorry- palace room wearing a pretty crown.

»»-----♔-----««

Ocean did decide to come. As Lucas's date.

And believe me when I tell you, she looks absolutely gorgeous.

"This suit is itchy," Azrael announces, handing me a glass of wine.

"Beauty is pain," I joke.

Azrael's not one for fancy clothes and expensive parties. He's more of an old soul. Private, thoughtful. His conversational words are like poetry. I love that about him. I love how we're so different yet so similar.

It doesn't make sense. I love that too.

Jake loves this...this whole world. The girls, the drinks, the music, blowing through money. That's his stuff. I guess...it was mine too.

Memories flash in my mind, like my brain had taken pictures to show me at this very moment.

A young me, Jake's arm around my waist, tequila shots in my hand.

I can't help but smile.

It's so hard to...to understand if you like your past more or your future.

"Hello? Essie? You there?" Azrael says, staring at me sceptically.

I let out a single laugh and take a sip of my wine.

"Wanna dance?" I ask.

"I would love to but I also do not want to embarrass you."

"And why would you embarrass me?"

"Because I am a terrible dancer."

I frown at him, my smile still not disappearing.

My mind sends me back to that night on the terrace. Another ball, another secret little dance.

"Just follow my lead."

He doesn't need any time to think before grabbing my hand and whispering, "Without hesitation."

The crowd's chatter dies down into soft whispers as we make our way to the middle of the dance floor.

A princess dances only with her escort and her father.

No one else, except the musicians, are allowed to be near the dance floor.

I never understood this rule. Well, I don't understand most of the rules.

My hand finds its way up to his shoulder and his rests on my waist. My other hand extends out, taking his.

One step forward. One step back.

I don't know what I am doing. I really don't want to.

I am not aware of the whispers, the 'The viscount that left his title', I am not aware of my father's glaring eyes.

Well, I choose to be unaware of those things.

But I am aware of his warm hand on my scarred back, and the way our fingers are locked with each other.

He says he can't dance but moves like sways as smoothly as water.

Liar.

I catch his smirk as he sways me a little too fast.

"Mind if I cut in?"

Jake.

Jake?

What the hell.

Azrael's smile drops. The music stops.

I heard the crowd collectively gasp.

I feel his hand tightening on my back instead of letting go.

"What are you doing here?" I demand through gritted teeth.

"I am sorry, baby." Jake looks over at my father.

"What are you talking about?"

Azrael usually calm face turns cold but he still doesn't remove his hand from my back.

"Yes, yes I do mind. Shall we resume, your majesty?" Azrael pulls me closer to him.

I don't think before I nod and the music starts again.

Jake steps back.

Azrael steps forward.

»»-----♔-----««

This chapter will be continued tomorrow! I have a very fast paced, very sad surprise. I know it's too quick but ehh.

Alsoooo.. I think I'll be uploading the Ocean-Jax book soon. It'll have weekly updates but the first five/ten chaps will be uploaded.

Yeah. Loving my plot ideas so far.

Have a good day everyone 💜