VIII. The Game

Katuwaan lang.

That's what Leni would say if asked what she had been thinking when she wrote on Risa's wrist. 'Yung mga bata kasi, she'd say. She had been in such a good mood throughout the day, and her supporters' requests influenced her. It just rubbed off on her, that's all.

But asking Risa to write on her, too — that was pure self-indulgence. She was honest enough to admit that.

She hoped Risa didn't mind. She had looked like she didn't, at least.

But Risa was also too kind to turn her down. That's just the kind of friend she is.

She had been so nice to her all this time, giving in to Leni's every request, granting Leni's wishes to sleep with her, to touch her, to wake her up, to stand with her, even to write on her — all done with never a word of complaint.

The guilt was beginning to creep up on Leni now. She shouldn't take advantage of Risa's kindness so much.

She looked down at her wrist where Risa's name was, touching it gingerly with her fingers, not wanting it to smudge. Thankfully, it was already dry.

Leni wondered what this would look like. With everybody's eyes on her, she knew she would get questions. She could — and probably should — erase it now, but, for whatever reason, she wanted to keep it for a bit longer.

Sayang naman kung buburahin ko lang agad.

She opened her handbag and searched for one of those pink leather bands she was sure she had placed there long before. It was wide enough that it would cover the name, snug enough that it wouldn't slip and accidentally reveal anything, and unremarkable enough that it wouldn't take too much attention, if it would take any attention at all, or be found unusual by anybody looking. It was perfect.

By the time she would see Risa again later that evening, if Leni were to find out that Risa had already rubbed off her name from her skin, she liked to think that she would have no problem with that.

No problem at all.

-

Leni would be lying if she said that Risa's left wrist wasn't the first thing she looked for when she arrived at their final venue. She'd be lying if she said that she wasn't at all concerned about it, that whatever Risa did to the mark she made on her skin wouldn't affect her emotionally in any way. She thought she'd be fine with finding it gone, she really did, but now that she was actually right there in the same place with Risa again, Leni found that she just couldn't stand it.

She was so determined to find out if her name was still there that she looked at Risa's forearm first before she even looked at her face.

She couldn't see it; she was looking from an impossible angle. When she looked up to finally meet Risa's eyes, Risa was already looking at her with raised eyebrows.

Yep, Risa totally knew what Leni was doing.

Leni bowed her head slightly, feeling chastened.

But that didn't stop her. She still tried to peek when she could, but, as if playing hard-to-get with her, Risa wouldn't let her see it.

The crowd was still going crazy when she and Kiko finished their introductions and were walking back to the seats on the stage to greet their senatorial slate and the local officials. She greeted them one by one, either giving them a polite bow of the head, a fist bump, a pat on the arm, a close wave, or even a cheek-to-cheek beso if they were that close enough, but when she reached Risa, she gave her a hug, loose but happily received and returned, squeezing an arm before letting go.