XIV. Fondness

She had expected Leni to be asleep by the time she finished changing. She had, at the very least, expected that Leni would already be lying in bed, perhaps on her side, eyes closed, just one step less from fully giving in to her exhaustion.

But she had expected wrong.

Risa stepped out of the bathroom, feeling more like herself again. She had taken her time — as brief as that window of time was. Changing her clothes had the desired effect on her.

As she walked towards the closet, the robe now slung over an arm, she saw Leni sitting on the right side of the bed, her two arms on her sides supporting her. She was looking around the room, taking in all the details, as if it was all she could look at within that span of time when Risa was no longer there. A skin-colored bra hung over the lone armchair facing the bed.

"You should sleep na," Risa said, when in her mind, it was You waited for me. She hung her robe in the closet, not looking at Leni.

"Gusto kitang hintayin."

Risa didn't know if Leni was fighting her drowsiness out of politeness, or if it was because of something else. She really didn't have to do that.

She turned towards the bed to find Leni now gazing at her, eyes traveling from head to toe. It wasn't quite the same penetrating gaze that she'd been given earlier; there was a laziness to it now, an easiness, but it was appreciative all the same.

Maybe it was silly, but, she'd wanted this. Risa basked in the welcome feeling of warmth — in her chest and from that gaze. Mission accomplished.

She turned off all the lights in the room, leaving only the night light by the bed. The warm yellow light from the lamp gave the room a film of coziness, and with Leni looking so comfortable and relaxed on the bed, all of those combined made the otherwise impersonal hotel room more than a little homely. It was as if, now, tonight, this room was the world's most restful place.

Risa hoped that she wasn't alone in thinking that.

Leni slid down beside her as Risa sank onto the bed. The bed, formerly cold, was now warm from Leni's body heat. They pulled the blanket over their bodies, sharing both of their body heat together.

Risa turned to her side, and when she did, she found that Leni also did the same thing. They were facing each other now.

...Should she say good night now?

There was an awkward silence as the two of them looked at each other in the dark.

"So..."

"Um..."

They both burst into chuckles at the ridiculousness of it all.

Hindi na bago sa'tin 'to, Risa thought as Leni laughed sleepily before her. Diba?

She moved closer to Leni, until her head almost reached Leni's pillow.

"So... I'm here. Beside you. Makakatulog ka na," Risa said, half-joking, but half-meaning it, too.

Leni hummed, but she wasn't closing her eyes yet. "Pero bakit parang ayaw ko munang matulog?"

Risa laughed. The warmth that was in her chest a few minutes ago persisted.

"Thank you ha," Leni said weakly. If it was because of sleepiness or shyness, Risa didn't know.

"Anything for you."

Leni sighed, and she closed her eyes slowly. Risa wordlessly watched as Leni bared her unguardedness to her again, for the second time that day.

She moved away from Leni then, going back to her side of the bed, and she turned to her other side, much like the last time. But this time, there wasn't any awkwardness.