Ch. 27 - The Last Straw

"The Void is hostile, Chosen!"

Chosen listened intently as Second described his near-death experience while waving a photo around dramatically.

Some of the other sticks gathered around Chosen and Second. Some stood there and listened, while others peered at the photo. It depicted the End island with the towers falling and smoke rising. The edges of the photo were tinted green.

"Mmm," Chosen said, "Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Second. We will take action after Cobalt has returned-"

He faltered, as a ViraBot crept into view, playing an audio file.

"Hello, foes and old friends. Here is something you should know: since you haven't permitted us to do as we desire, we have no choice but to wage war against you. The battle will take place somewhere near you and will be initiated when you least expect it. What will you do, dear Chosen, when all your beloved little friends... are dying around you? Only one side shall win this resurrection war; will you win? Or will you LOSE??!!"

The clip ended in static.

Everyone stood there silently, not knowing what to do or what to say.

Dark's words had sent a chill up everyone's backs. A resurrection war... friends dying...

A loud thud and the crackling of metal made everyone jump.

Chosen had destroyed the ViraBot. He stood up, his eyes yellow with anger.

"Will we win?" he muttered, "Dark had already killed Uni. He's possessed Multi, Victim, and Silverfrost and snuck ViraBots into our bases countless times. And now he's pulled the last straw by waging war against us. He's done too many bad deeds to win. We will decide who wins! We will fight!!"

Everyone else responded. Shouting together, their voices echoed through the still hallways.

"We've got no time to find Uni and Cobalt," Chosen said to Multi as everyone filed into the dining room for one last supper.

Multi nodded solemnly.

"There is a way you could see him again, before the war." Chosen facepalmed. "Well, not really 'before', more like 'during' the war. We could leave a piece of paper stuck in a place where he would see it- like on a door or something- and tell him where we're going."

"What- where are we going?"

"Somewhere near the Void."

"Why?"

"Um, because-"

"Wait- oh~! I get it now."

Chosen chuckled. Multi grinned apologetically.

"Come on." Chosen held out his hand. "Let's get to dinner."