Chapter 4 - The festival

It was the day of the celebration. The main event is going to start at sundown so that the nobles have time to get ready and to make the final preparations. For now, all Madeleine could think about was Espresso. Again. He wants to see what kind of beautiful will emerge tonight from his beloved. It was the first time that he isn't thinking about his own outfit.

"Your majesty, your mother requested your presence. She's at her room." The butler said as Madeleine just finished wearing his suit. It was white with blue designs to symbolize the republics colours. His cape was far too big and heavy for him to wear so he just waited before the main celebration. He went to his mother's room expecting nothing but warnings about the said scandals, like always. Though he knows that none will circulate this time.

"Mother? You called?" Madeleine asked as he knocks to the door.

"Yes, come in." Grand Madeleine said and Madeleine obliged.

"Mother, you look stunning as always." Madeleine complimented his mother's dress. It was grand and the same aesthetics as Madeleine's.

"As you might have already guessed, no rumors. Please for the love of the Divine, spare me a week without worrying about you." Grand Madeleine practically begged.

"Not even a word of flattery from my compliment? Don't worry about the rumors, I have learned to behave. I've matured now, mother. You can set me free, like what mama birds do to their children, you know, because you have peacock feathers behind you." Madeleine aimed to joke around.

"Just as I thought you couldn't be any more childish. Just behave, alright? Now go before you ruin my morning with your childish antics. And for the love of the Divine put on your head piece." Grand Madeleine said. The head piece is a sacred ornament worn by the republicans. More importantly, the nobles of the republic. It is their way of saying that they entrust their kingdom to the hands of the high mighty and to respect them. They only take it off when in bed or changing or sinning. At this point, Madeleine can't even count how many times he's taken it off after him and Espresso started kissing in private. The whole week was just him forgetting to put it on after they've made out and being scolded because of it. Now that he thinks about it, he should really check on Espresso. He hasn't seen him after he asked for the components.

"Your majesty, the other nobles are already arriving." And just like that, Madeleine's plan on visiting his secret boyfriend has been cancelled. He finally wore his big blue cape and started to greet the other nobles and thanking them for coming in behalf of his mother.

"Your majesty, you look so stunning. Thank you for coming to the celebration." Madeleine complimented Hollyberry who was drinking with some of her friends.

"Oh hoho! Would you look who it is, it's Madeleine! How have you been?" Hollyberry asked.

"Never been better, your majesty. Who might this fine gentleman be?" Madeleine asked referring to a tall man beside the queen.

"Oh yes, this is my bodyguard, Wildberry. I told them that I don't need one but my granddaughter insisted on having one." Hollyberry replied.

"I see, well I do hope you both enjoy tonight. There's more than enough wine for you to enjoy."

"Thank you, my boy! I'll see you around then." Hollyberry said before chugging down another bottle of wine.

As Madeleine greets more and more people, time passed faster and the moon was already high up. Music and beautiful ladies surrounded every inch of the hall but Madeleine has his mind elsewhere. Espresso. He hasn't seen him yet. He was about to just disappear and just look for him but he saw Latte just across him. He approached her as she talked to her friends.