Midnight Stroll

After everyone fell asleep I was left to Guard the tree on my own. The night is relatively uneventful though. Only a few animals came to greet me in the dead of night. I enjoy the dark much more anyways. It's much calmer and unlike the villagers I can see perfectly. I especially like the stars it's like a whole new world, unexplored, unknown. The sky is full, but not harshly lite by the sun. Colors dance every night. It's very peaceful. Having a good book was always nice too. I quietly pull my book from the stack. It's a thick hardback book. The cover was just an empty black leather with gold words etched into it. It's called The Seventh. It's a book about a boy who is perfect and powerful With thirteen siblings. The boy works hard to save people, but still struggling with the choice between his family and the community. Dream isn't the only one who likes this book. It's got a nice plot and keeps readers on their toes.

*Time skip brought to you by a good book*

Time seems to fly by fast when I read a good book. I look at the sky to see I have a few hours left before the sun invades the night sky. Looking back at the woods I find that my peace is interrupted early. There is a few emotions making their way closer to the tree. it's not an animal, damn. I can't help the frown that makes its way to my face. I have to make sure they don't get close, but leaving the Tree of Feeling with no one watching this human girl.

I can't wake Dream. He spends most of the day running around the village. He's a heavy sleeper anyhow. Dream would probably scold me for not trusting 'our new friend' he is to naive and would probably go back to sleep. I just have to make sure she doesn't wake up. I can use my magic to put her in a deep sleep if she wakes. I can't use too much of my magic though. Dream will sense it. The bigger issue needs to be dealt with first. Getting the villagers to forget about the tree is more important than a clueless human. If she truly is clueless. I have to take that gamble.

I quietly, but swiftly, get up moving the human a bit to lean more on my brother than me. Once free I use a little bit of my magic to make sure she doesn't wake up for a few hours. I need to get back before it wares off and my magic should give me time. I check on Dream. yep still sleeping like the dead.
I can't help smiling when I notice he has his own small smile. Making my way to the woods isn't that hard. The woods are only a short walk from the tree, but far enough to keep the villagers from charging out. The Tree of Feelings is kind of in between the village and the woods, albeit a bit off to the side. My brother and I used to play in the woods a lot before the villagers moved in. We don't have the time like we used too.

Going into the woods and using the villagers feelings to pinpoint them was the hard part. They where a bit far in, probably to avoid detection. I can sense them better then Dream though. It doesn't take long for me to make my way through the vast forest. I could probably still find dream in a game of Hide N' Seek. There is a path here now though. the ground has been flattened from all the foot traffic. The villagers go into the forest all the time, so it's not a wonder that there is a path that leads to mother. Dream sometimes gives me flowers from the woods.

I was so deep in the memories that I didn't even notice that I reached the villagers. They took advantage of my distraction and one of them kicked me in the ribs. I fell on my tailbone pretty hard. The wind was easily kicked out of me. I had barely enough time to put my arm up for the next attack. A bat came swinging down on me with no real time to react. The baseball bat ended up breaking my arm. Over my own scream I could hear them laughing at me.

"What's wrong freak! Can't take a beating anymore?"

"Shouldn't have come out here if you couldn't take it."

"Ha! look at this fucker!"

Their chatter only gets a glare from me. I'm not going to entertain them. I know why they are really out here. It's not to beat me before daylight hits. They are only focused on me for the time being. I could hit them back, but they will tell Dream. He seems to be picking their side more often nowadays. I could put them to sleep, but again they will exaggerate to Dream. Ugh, I wish he would just see through them already. I don't have much time to think. This broken arm isn't helping. I'm not even able to sit back up. Every time I try I'm kicked back down and in more pain then before. They are practically surrounding me at this point. Laughing and kicking me. I have to curl around my broken arm to prevent any more serious harm to it. My eye is blurry and my chest hurts, probably something else is broken. Can't really tell. I've gotten used to this song and dance. Can't even feel most of it now.

I can only glare and curl my legs around my chest. Hiding my arm from them. The hatred bubbling up like a lava pool coming out from the Earth. I wouldn't need to get used to all this if they just left, or never been here at all.

That anger boils in my chest as they laugh, until I hear a small sound followed by very angry cursing. Looking over at my now angry assailant rubbing the back of their head, I feel very confused to say the least. Not sure what is going on. A shadow of a kid around my age seems to effortlessly, and accurately, throw rocks at my attackers. I have great night vision, but they speed from one tree to another. I can't make out much of their features. I almost start cheering for em. I know better than that though. They probably just wanted brownie points for The Tree of Feeling's apples.

It's not long until the confusion passes for everyone though. My new found shadow friend no longer having the upper hand as the others prepare for a attack. A blue bunny jumps into this kids path. A loud thud from the impact of the two. I can tell who it is now. It's the human kid! That brat hanging around. Her dress a very unique looking thing that can probably be spotted by anyone. It's definitely not made for running around. It's got to many layers for a spring dress.

Was it even made from a villager? Now I'm back to being confused.

Didn't I give her some of my magic? It should have kept her asleep till morning! How did she even find us? Did she just wake up and think the woods was a perfect spot to go.
This girl is helping me. She could have just left. She could have stolen an apple. She didn't need to have brownie points.

Why?

Why is she here, helping me?

I didn't even notice when she came over. I didn't notice the villagers had practically ran away. I just zone back into reality with her concerned expression in my face.

(1308)