16. Crashing Waves

Mirror or glass, it matters not.
They both shatter, when not caught.

TW: blood, betrayals and Dirty Secrets.

Louis had survived enough near-death situations to know that he was in fact, not dead. Which was excellent news!

But it had been a while since he had particularly dealt with flash bombs.

His eyes burned as if someone had poured boiling acid into them. And the maddening intensity in which his ears rang rendered him partially deaf. Not to mention the skull cracking headache. But one of the advantages of being an Arachnia agent, was that he was still prepared for it.

But so it seemed, were the mercenaries.

What followed next, Louis could only describe as utter chaos.

Louis picked up his fallen revolver and stumbled to his feet. The carpet swaying below him. The air was swallowed by a dense white ink. And in that fog, like ghosts the mercenaries swayed. All of them disoriented but on their feet. All of them with guns in their hands. All of them with the intent to kill.

But Louis was fueled by a rage unlike any other.

With visibility nonexistent and instincts and adrenaline on overdrive, Louis open fired. He put down the three closest to him and then reached out for Harry. They had to get out of here before more of them arrived! Because in that room with their defenses down, they were all sitting ducks.

Harry was lying unmoving and still. His skin cold to the touch. It looked as if he was already dead. But Louis knew that was not the case. He lifted the limp body gently in his arms and rushed towards the exit. He could feel Harry's blood soaking his jacket. The wound was deep. They needed to stop the bleeding fast. Or the poor man would bleed to death.

Ryller was right behind them with Anna in his arms. They needed to get the civilians out first and then they could deal with Rivera. Of course, Ryller had yet to play his cards but Louis had a feeling he wouldn't have to wait too long for it. At least they were out of immediate threat as Rivera no longer had the remote...Ryller did.

And as Louis mentioned, Ryller was still in his game.

Apparently, the Fates were having too much fun seeing them suffer and being thrown around to let it stop. For the moment Louis set foot on the patio of the lounge, he found himself face to face with a dozen more henchmen.

Why were there so many? These guys were multiplying like bunnies!

They must have had come up to check out on the explosion. But finding their little gang struggling to survive was a much sweeter discovery. And the thing was, they particularly didn't want Louis to survive, which was quite inconsiderate.

"Louis! We have to- oh... Hello?" Ryller froze beside Louis. His eyes as wide as tennis balls. Anastasia was still in his arms. Moaning as she rubbed her eyes and ears in annoyance. Louis was again immensely grateful towards Ryller. He had shielded her from the brunt of the explosion.

The mercenaries were confused for a moment. Yes they hated Louis. But Ryller was their boss's friend. And with the state of disarray the deck was already on due to the bombs and the popped cameras, Louis was pretty sure that even they were questioning their existence at this point.

But evidently, they reached a consensus and raised their rifle's in synchronicity.

Louis gulped. Anastasia groaned. Ryller cursed. Harry bled.

And the tiny unnoticed sphere which had rolled across the floor from between the men's legs, hissed.

Two seconds later, the mercenaries were down. Snoring in a heap.