Chapter Six

While Jared was at school, Kylie cleaned the entire house. She mopped the floors, cleaned the worktops, sprayed the sinks, wiped the windows, vacuumed, dusted the furniture, washed the towels and changed the sheets. She was putting on the new bed sheets in Jared’s room when he came in, heavy backpack slung casually over one shoulder. In his uniform, he looked different. The tie was a bright yellow, a colour which didn’t really suit him. The blazer was black and fitted with the school’s insignia stitched on the pocket. It was an eagle, embroidered with gold threat. Crystals were embedded into its eyes, so it looked weirdly alive.

“Good afternoon,” she said, almost having to restrain herself from saying "Sir." Her hands grasped at the sheets as she straightened out the wrinkles on the sheets and fluffed up the cushions. She could feel his eyes on her.

 “Afternoon,” he replied, letting his bag drop off his shoulder and onto the floor. It made a loud thud on the carpet.

 He rubbed his shoulder, and took off the blazer, hanging it on a hook on the wall. He began to help her fix the bed, but she looked at him disapprovingly.

 “That’s my job,” she said, walking around to where he was and taking the sheets out of his hands. Their hands brushed together and an electric current shot up her arm.

 “I was only trying to help….” Jared held his hands up in surrender, a smile playing on his face.

 “I know, sir.” She flashed him a playful smile, and he lifted an eyebrow. His eyes sparkled like the crystals on the eagle.

 ‘You’re in a good mood,” he replied, taking his tie off and putting it in his wardrobe. She realised he was right. She hadn’t felt okay in a while, since leaving home. Kylie had always been worrying, buried in her thoughts. But things were starting to lighten up. Jared happened. The fact that someone actually cared about what she had to say mattered.

 She nodded, fluffing the pillows. “I guess.”

 He pulled on a sweater over his school shirt. “It must be difficult…having to clean all day for pittance.  How long have you been doing it?”

 “Oh.” She looked at him. “This is my first time. I mean, it’s not my job. I don't get paid.”

She realised she shouldn't have told him that. But the words had just slipped out of her mouth.

 “Then why are you here?” his voice was questioning. His eyebrow arched in confusion.

 Kylie hesitated. She didn’t know what to tell him – the truth or some fabricated lie. She didn’t know how he would react to the truth. But he would know if she was lying – she’d always been a terrible liar.

She remembered lying to an Official once about where she had been the night a fight had broken out on the street. She had only gotten away with it thanks to her grandmother who had several neighbours at her house that night. They had told the Official that she had been out with her grandmother selling soup, instead of winning a fight for a few coins.

“I was arrested.”

He frowned. “You? For what?”

He looked surprised that she’d be involved in a crime. She realised he knew nothing about her. She’d only been here for a short while and already she’d gained a large insight into Jared’s life. But she was a stranger to him.

 “Fighting,” she explained. “I’ve always done it. It’s kind of a hobby, because there’s nothing to do where I live. It gives kids something to do, you know? It’s probably really weird for you, but I-”

 “No, it’s just…I can’t imagine...you fighting ,” he replied, a doubtful expression on his face.

 She smiled. “If only you knew.”