Chapter Twenty

Dedicated to @letsrunforever who always comments on every chapter! Thank you!

--------

Kylie spent the next few days, drifting in and out of consciousness, not understanding what was going on. The nurses' faces were a blur, their voices muffled. Everytime she woke up with tubes in her arm, she managed to rip them out in her confusion.

Eventually, her mind started to clear and her memory of what had happened returned to her. When she opened her eyes one evening, she saw Jared gripping her hand like his life depended on it.

"Kylie, oh, Kylie..." his voice was tired and hoarse as he moved closer, careful not to overcrowd her. "How are you feeling?"

Jared looked terrible. His face was ghostly pale, and his eyes red-rimmed and darkened with circles. He looked exhausted. But she was so happy to see him, it didn't matter.

"I love you," her first words,  though barely audible, brought a smile to his face.

"I love you too," he said, leaning over to plant a kiss on her temple. "Do you remember what happened?"

"Yeah," she said, swallowing. "The Officials found me." She cringed as she remembered their assault on her.

"What happened to Nico?" she asked, suddenly remembering him being shot.

"He was dragged away by the rebels," Jared sighed. "They couldn't get to you in time."

Her fingers brushed the top of her head which was wrapped tightly in bandages. The Officials had done some damage, but she didn't feel any pain. They must have given her strong drugs.

"Why am I here, with you?" She questioned. She wondered why she wasn't locked up already.

"I don't know, to be honest," Jared said. "I heard you were here and bribed the nurses to let me in."

She smiled. "I'm glad you're here. I missed you."

"I swear, if they ever try to hurt you..." he began, but she put her finger on his lips, silencing him.

"Kiss me," she said, her eyes taking in his slow smile. She closed her eyes as his lips brushed hers. It was almost painful, kissing him, because she knew she couldn't have him. She knew how things could change so quickly, how easily they could be torn apart, so she had to savour every moment.

He pulled her gently onto his lap, apologising when she hissed from the pain in her abdomen.

"Don't," she ordered, before resuming the kiss. His lips were like velvet. She didn't want to stop.

There was the sound of footsteps in the corridor and Kylie and Jared broke away quickly, Jared leaping into the bedside chair just as a nurse came strolling in.

"Miss Fairs needs to report to the Official in-"

"I'm not letting her near an Official," Jared spoke, his words threatening. "Look what they did to her."

The nurse shrugged her shoulders. "I don't care what you think. She has to speak to an Official. And you need to go; or one will be speaking to you."

Jared looked like he was ready to punch her. Kylie put her hand on his shoulder.

"It's okay," she said. "I can handle one."

She wobbled on her feet as she slid off the bed and Jared handed her a hoodie and a pair of sweatpants, which provided her with a little more dignity than the thin white hospital gown she was wearing. While she was getting changed, she noticed the blue bruising on her skin, especially around her ribs and stomach.