Chapter Thirty

Kylie woke up to a splitting headache and immediately regretted drinking so much. As the memories came back to her, she had never felt more mortified in her life.

She rushed to the bathroom as soon as she sat up in bed, as a wave of nausea came over her.

She threw up and washed her mouth out under the tap quickly.

"Are you okay?"

She turned to see Will, pulling on his café apron. She realised it must have been pretty early as she remembered him mentioning to her about an early shift.

"I'm never drinking again," she moaned, holding her head in her hands. Any light hurt her head. She was glad it was still dark out.

Will laughed. "Drink loads of water and take a cold shower."

"And go back home," he added, looking her in the eyes to convey what he meant. Talk to Jared.

She didn't want to. All she wanted to do was curl up in a dark hole until she felt better. She nodded reluctantly.

He said goodbye and left for work, leaving her to get a hot shower in peace. By the time she came out, her fingers were wrinkled, like prunes. She towel-dried her hair and tied it back in a high ponytail to keep it out of her face. After taking the painkillers, her headache was starting to fade and she was beginning to feel like some semblance of normal.

She changed into the top and jeans she had worn last night and looked at herself in front of the mirror.

She looked rough. Her eyes were bloodshot and tired, with dark circles under them. She resolved to grabbing a pair of Will's sunglasses from his dresser, which would also help to block out the light which was starting to creep into the house.

She put the latch on the door so it locked automatically when she closed it behind her. Hoping Jared was still asleep, she snuck in the back door and crept into the spare room, changing into a dressing gown hanging on the back of the door. She slid under the covers quietly, relieved to be back in her own house. The silence was interrupted a few minutes later when the door creaked upon. Her back was facing the door so she shut her eyes quickly, hoping Jared would think she was asleep. She couldn't face him. She was still hurt and she was far too tired to argue.

It was later in the afternoon when she woke again, startled to see Jared sitting by her side.

"Kylie..."

She rolled over and stepped out of the bed, pulling on her clothes. "I don't want to hear it, Jared."

"Where were you last night?" he asked, softly. "I was so worried."

She laughed bitterly. "You were worried? That makes me feel so much better. How do you think I felt when I heard that voicemail?"

Kylie walked out of the room and he followed as she descended the stairs down to the kitchen.

She poured herself a glass of water and noticed how her hands were shaking. Jared touched her arm and she flinched. He was looking at her hands guiltily.

"Did something happen to you last night?" he asked, studying her. "After you left?"

She scoffed. "Nothing happened. I got drunk and some guy tried it on with me but I said no. And Will took me home." The words were aimed to hurt and as she caught Jared's pained expression, she knew it had worked.

"What guy? Why was Will there?" he asked, quietly.

"Why are you questioning me?" she demanded. "I never cheated on you. I could have but I didn't. Because I love you. Which is more than can be said for you because you obviously don't."