Chapter Twenty-Seven

Kylie slipped on her sunglasses and threw her beach bag over her shoulder.

It was starting to look more like summer. The sun blinded her when she stepped out of the house. The skies were clear and bright and the ocean looked calm and inviting.

Kylie and Jared walked down the garden path to the beach,  dodging the nettles and overgrown branches.

"I'll get this cleaned up soon," Jared said, holding a branch up so she could step under it.

Her eyes widened as she took in the beach. She couldn't ever get sick of the sight. Palm trees bent over the sand, their leaves dipping in the turquoise clear water of the sea.

Gulls squawked overhead, their wings flapping in the breeze.

Kylie dropped her towel, revealing the blue and teal bikini Jared had bought for her.

She felt self-conscious, even though there were only two other groups of people on the beach.

She laid her towel on the beach and took the sun-lotion out of her bag, lathering her arms with the transparent gel.

It was important that she protected her skin from burning especially the scarred parts which were much more sensitive.

Her moisturized skin glistened in the sunlight.

"Will you put some on my back?" she asked, handing the bottle to Jared.

"I'm more than happy to do that," he teased, squeezing a generous amount on his palms.

He gently massaged it into her back and she sighed in contentment. His hands moved in comforting circles across her warm skin.

She returned the favour for Jared, although she sure wasn't as good a masseuse as him.

Her fingers traced the indents and scars in his skin and she became lost in thought, gunfire suddenly replacing the gentle swishing of the sea.

"Kylie?" His voice brought her back to reality. He searched her expression and tipped her chin up.

"You're with me now. You're safe."

She frowned, before nodding. It wasn't often that she had moments where she was back in the rebellion. She would shut off and forget about what was happening around her.

But Jared would always find a way to bring her back.

"Sorry," she said, dismissively. "Swim?"

Jared nodded slowly, confirming she was alright. He took her hand and led her into the water, laughing as she shuddered upon dipping her toes in.

He knocked her off her feet and lifted her. She hung onto his neck, lifting her head to avoid getting her hair wet. Eventually she dipped her whole body into the water and surfaced with a grin on her face.

The water was warm enough to be comfortable but she was barely noticing that as she glanced at Jared's physique.

He had always been fit because of the fighting classes he took but this was the first time she had properly noticed.

Worries weren't hanging over her shoulders so she could focus on herself and the person she loved.

"Hey, stop drooling," Jared quipped, pushing her jaw back up.

She reddened, her wet hair falling over her face like a curtain.

"I wasn't..." she said, rather unconvincingly.

He smirked, raising an eyebrow questioningly.

She splashed him in response, her embarrassment turning into laughter as he retaliated.