Chapter Twenty-Nine

It was another rainy morning when Kylie woke, her eyes bleary. She reached her hand over to embrace Jared only to find he wasn't beside her.

Panic bubbled up inside her and she could feel herself zoning out.

"Jared?" She called, her voice anguished.

She heard shots being fired, screams, footsteps pounding towards her, the sickening sound of bones cracking.

Hands gripped her shoulders, shaking her and she recognised Jared's voice calling her back.

She opened her eyes, and tried to speak. Her voice was raw, meaning she'd been screaming rather loud. She cursed herself, hoping she hadn't woken any of the neighbours. The last thing she needed was for Will to think that she was insane.

"I'm sorry, I just got up to make us breakfast, I didn't realise-" Jared started, his eyes regretful.

"No, don't apologise," she said, running her hands up his arms.

"I'm okay now."

Jared studied her for a moment, before clasping his hands in hers.

He forced a smile. "Okay, come down and get breakfast."

She followed him downstairs, smelling citrus and syrup wafting from the kitchen.

There were pancakes drizzled with lemon and maple syrup welcoming her at the breakfast table.

"Michel's cooking lessons served me well," he said, pouring out orange juice for the both of them.

"This is perfect," she replied, leaning over the table to peck him on the lips.

The rain seemed never-ending, pounding on the rooftop and pattering on the windows.

"Don't worry, I have a plan for today," he said, noticing her disappointment at the weather.

"Does it involve more food?" she teased, taking a mammoth slice of pancake.

"Maybe," he rolled his eyes. "But it involves the colour silver."

She arched her eyebrow, curious.

She was intrigued. Silver usually meant jewellery or expensive things. She hoped he hadn't went and splurged his savings on an extravagant gift for her.

After breakfast, he pulled out a heavy box from the cloak-room. She could hear tins of metal clanking against eachother and she tore open the cardboard to reveal a large tin of silver paint.

"Yeah, it's not really that exciting," he remarked, fishing out a paintbrush from the side of the box.

"Are you kidding?" she asked. "I didn't think you were serious when you said we could redecorate."

"Why wouldn't I be? This is our home now," he replied. "We need to put our mark on it."

"I've got great ideas. One wall silver in the bedroom and en-suite.." she rambled on, her mind envisioning different interior designs.

Jared smiled as he carried the paint down to the bedroom and he began to lay down old sheets to protect the carpet and furniture.

Minutes later the wall was a quarter of the way done. Kylie laughed as she flicked the paintbrush at Jared, covering his shirt with silver spots.

"Oh you wanna play this game," he said, dipping his paintbrush in the tin and brushing it down her arm.

She opened her mouth in surprise, before flicking more paint at him. This time it hit his face and he smiled widely.