Chapter Sixteen

Kylie wasn’t used to people wanting to help her. At school, she’d had barely any friends. Most of them were too scared to hang around with her because they would be bullied or their reputation would be damaged. It wasn’t good to be seen with the Zero. Others were a bit intimidated by her, they knew she could beat them up if they ever put a foot wrong. She guessed that was why she’d never been bullied. Of course, she’d been whispered about and people had looked down upon her, but she’d never been outright confronted.

Anyhow, nobody had ever walked up to her and told her they wanted to help her. It felt strange that someone, besides Jared, actually cared about her in this city. They thought she was important enough to belong in their group of revolutionaries. She felt honoured, like she was being accepted into this exclusive secret society. But at the same time, she was scared. She didn’t know what it would entail.

She was used to getting in spots of trouble here and there, but the seriousness of their work made her apprehensive. They were staging a revolution, for God’s sake, how more serious could it get.

Kylie straightened out the piece of paper he’d given her with a number scrawled on it in looped handwriting. It wasn’t very professional but he was hardly going to be handing out business cards with ‘Revolutionary’ under his name. Like that wouldn’t attract attention, she thought, sarcastically.

She scrunched the paper into her fist when Jared walked in to the kitchen, wondering if she should tell him about this group. How would he react? Would he be angry if she said part of her wanted to accept their invitation?

“Something’s bothering you,” he said, studying her face. He put his hand under her chin and forced her to look him in the eyes.

“I’m that easy to read, huh?” she teased, tucking her hair behind her ears.

“I can just tell,” he shrugged. “I know you.”

She smiled. “Okay. I’ll tell you. I don’t know what you’re going to say or if-“

“It’s not serious, is it?”

“Depends,” she muttered. “Look, last night, when that guy asked me to dance, well, he asked for a little more than a dance.” His eyes narrowed and I suddenly realised how what I just said could be misconstrued. “I mean, he wasn’t interested like that. He’s part of this rebel group of lower numbers and he wants me to join.”

“Rebel group?” Jared looked confused. More than that, he looked concerned. His eyes were burning into hers. Had she made a mistake, telling him?

“They want to change things. I don’t know how but they knew about me. He said they wanted to help and assured me it wasn’t a trick. He was being honest, I knew it,” she replied.

“So what exactly is it that you’re trying to say?”

She stared at him, biting her lip. “I want to join. And I want your opinion.”

He didn’t say anything for a while. He just chewed the insides of his cheeks and sighed. “Well, I guess you don’t need my permission. But isn’t it dangerous? If you go against the government, you could get yourself killed.” He put his hands around my upper arms. “Think about this.”

“I haven’t stopped thinking about it since last night,” Kylie retorted. “I want to support them. I want to support anyone who thinks the current situation is unfair. But I won’t go if you don’t support me.”

He pulled her into a hug. “Of course I’ll support you, silly. I agree with you. Things have to change. But I’m going with you.”

Her eyes widened. “Really, Jared? Your parents would kill-“