Episode 10: The End

Kenobi woke to a pulsing around his head like a grip of pain. He opened his eyes to a piercing light overhead, and a pair of brown eyes that stared at him from the side.

"Obi-wan!" Leia screamed, a head-splitting scream and tackled him with her arms around his neck.

"Augh!" Obi-wan groaned as his side felt like it was being stabbed with a very sharp knife.

"Go on, get off of him, princess!" Dex pulled the girl off and sat her on his lap. He pulled his chair closer to the sick bed Kenobi was on. Now Kenobi saw two pairs of eyes staring back at him like two great fish.

"What happened? Where are we?" Kenobi asked as he held his head.

"We're in the Florrum transport—the biggest one they got. Some more of those white-suits showed up after you charged after Reva. We busted out and got the rest of the pirates on the transport—then I came after you."

"Reva—what happened to her?" Kenobi asked. Dex shook his head.

"I don't know—and you can't know, Obi. She was dueling with that nasty fellow—she most likely didn't make it."

Kenobi collapsed against the wall behind him as he held his side. He winced as another jolt of pain shot through his head. He rubbed his forehead gently with his hand. Dex slapped his knee before setting the princess down and standing up.

"Well, let me check where we are exactly—we'll be arriving on Neimoidia here soon."

"Neimoidia?" Kenobi muttered, but Dex didn't hear him before he left. Leia climbed up onto the sick bed and sat next to him, her back against the wall like him.

"They said they have a pilot heading to Alderaan from Neimoidia—that's why they're dropping us off there. Then they have a shipment of Force sensitives on Bespin they need to get before the Empire finds them—at least that's what I heard them saying."

Kenobi's shoulders eased as he thought of how close they were finally to Alderaan. Leia clicked her boots together to fill the silence. Kenobi turned to her.

"Well, princess. You have seen a great deal of the galaxy. What will you do with so much knowledge?" He chuckled. Leia turned her bright eyes to him.

"I don't know—my father said I was always destined for the Senate, because of our family."

Kenobi nodded.

"I've known a few senators in my time," Kenobi's eyes suddenly looked a long way off as he recalled faces from long ago.

"You knew her, didn't you?" Leia said. Kenobi's eyebrows raised. "My mother," Leia explained. "You said on Naboo—I was a spitting image of her—that's because you knew her—my real mother."

Kenobi thought for a moment, and then smiled. He wondered what it might have been like if Anakin hadn't turned to the dark side—if Padme hadn't died in childbirth—if Luke and Leia had been raised as brother and sister—not on separate sides of the galaxy.

"Yes—I knew her. You look just like her, in fact. And the way you speak—it all reminds me of her." Kenobi stroked his beard. "But you remind me a lot of your father too."

"You knew my father?" Leia sat up straight. Kenobi nodded.

"You have his ambition—his fierceness. He was a powerful Jedi—nothing could stand in his way of doing right." Then he added to himself, "He was a good man."

Leia and Obi-wan sat in silence for a moment, the old Jedi remembering his friends and the young princess thinking about this new information. They sat quietly until Dex popped his head in.