Chapter Two: Fog

Max groaned softly as she sat up on the hospital bed, feeling sleepiness try to overcome her. She winced just a bit when she failed to use one of her arms, feeling how one of them was wrapped as she could feel fabric against her skin. She tried to move her legs, but with one of them, she felt the same sensation as her arm. "Oh, shit."

"Max!" Eleven bursted into the room. The corners of her eyes wrinkled up as they sparkled at the sight, her mouth wide open in a smile. She slowed down, noticing the way Max motioned her head in every direction. "Max…?" Soon, she was able to see the fog in the girl's eyes, and she felt an ache in her heart.

She immediately dashed to Max's side, and she was gentle as she took a seat on the edge of the bed. Eleven immediately reached for Max's hands and held them firmly, "Max, I'm right here."

A breath fell from Max's lips as she smiled and felt at ease, knowing it was Eleven. She squeezed Eleven's hands, a sense of warmth spreading through her chest. "Hey, El." She let out a small chuckle.

The sound of a knock made them both look away from one another; El looked towards the door while Max tried to find where the sound came from. Max's hold on Eleven's hands tightened a bit.

"Hey…" Lucas entered sheepishly, waving a bit awkwardly. He closed the door behind him as he entered, suddenly becoming at loss for words as he locked eyes with Max, feeling his heart almost snap at the sight. "It's me, Lucas." The words simply rolled off the tip of his tongue even though he had other things to say. Out of all those things though, they simply went out his brain - forgotten.

"Lucas." Max let go of Eleven's hands, her lips parting as she reached out a hand to him, trying to find him. She began to feel tears prick the corners of her eyes, burning just a bit as the amount increased with helplessness. Her lips curled up in a smile as she found herself giggling when tears began to fall slowly. She couldn't believe herself. 

Lucas immediately went to Max's side, allowing Eleven to get up from where she was seated to take her place and sit there instead. He grabbed Max's hand and held it,  scooted a bit closer, slowly and careful of her leg; his other hand cupped her cheek, his forehead resting against hers when he leaned forward. "I'm so- I'm so happy you're alive," he whispered, his voice straining against his throat as it rasped with agony from the memory which engraved into his mind.

Max breathed in deeply, her dismay expressed in her lips as her eyes were cloudy. Her smile faded, her lips rather wavering as her mind briefly, vaguely, reminded her of what happened. Only snippets, but she could get the gist. For a moment, she pitied herself. After that thought, she realized she should be grateful to be alive. "Of course I am, idiot." Max felt Lucas tilt her head up a bit, imagining their eyes were at equal level to stare into them. "I didn't want to leave you, El, or any of our friends just yet."

Lucas sniffed, his eyes becoming glossy as tears formed. "Yeah," he laughed weakly, "I'm so glad."

Max let out a small gasp. Moving her head away from Lucas, she looked in the direction she believed El was in, a sheepish grin on her lips, "Sorry, El. Lucas took your spot"

"No." El shook her head. "It's okay." She smiled. She was glad to see Max be comfortable with Lucas.

"You sure?" Max asked.

Lucas looked over at Eleven.

"Yeah," Eleven responded. "I'm just… just glad you're okay." She hummed quietly. Deep down, she wished she could've helped Max see.

Max nodded. The girl slowly turned to Lucas, feeling the boy pull his hand away. She heard the bed creak as he got up, feeling the weight placed on the bed had decreased. "Where are you guys going?"