Chapter Six: Breath

Lucas gasped sharply as he floated in the air, and he looked down - his eyes wide as he noticed how close he was from hitting the ground. His mouth was open as he looked back at Max, then at El. He felt some relief, yet there was dread that kicked him into the corner of cowardice. He didn't want Max to be hurt by Vecna again. Maybe, it was better that he stayed quiet.

"Lucas," El slowly steadied him back down to the ground, "what happened?" She looked at him, staring into his eyes. She could hear Hopper and Mike's voices behind her, knowing they were coming the instant she rushed out. Eleven tilted her head, stepping closer to Lucas, knowing his awkward smile. "Lucas?"

Lucas scratched the back of his head, "I slipped." His lips wavered, his smile awkward. "I should've been more careful with my steps."

Hopper pressed his hand against his face, brushing it down as he let out a heavy breath. He stared at Lucas and walked up to him, giving him a pat, "This is why it's advised to not go on the roofs." His lips were in a thin line.

A small laugh had left Lucas's lips. "Yeah, I realize that now."

Hopper steadied himself, and he looked up at the roof, seeing Max. "You okay??" He asked her, raising an eyebrow.

"J-Just shaken up!" Max said. "Uhm, El, could you-." She didn't even need to finish. As soon as she realized it, she was already being lifted up in the air and being pulled down. Relief flooded her, and she threw her arms around Lucas, "You didn't get hurt, did you?"

Lucas shook his head, eyeing Mike through the corner of his eye. Inside, he cried for help.

"Max, you okay?" El looked at her. "You're pale."

"Me?" Max hummed. "I guess it must've been the panic." She shrugged, laughing it off. "Should we head back inside? It is late."

"Yeah," said Hopper. "Yeah. Everyone inside." He ushered the kids back inside, looking behind him. He stood at the door, catching the glimpse of the orange glow t
from the rifts. He gulped, hearing some thunder. Slowly looking up, he saw bits of the sky light up, so he pulled himself back inside and locked the door behind him.

"Looks like thunder again soon," Hopper said, looking out the window.

"Hopefully no hail," Jonathan groaned. "It's gonna be a pain in the ass if it hails."

"Oh, I hope not." Joyce said, lighting a few candles and placing them on the tables and flat surfaces. "In case the lights go out."

"Good thinking," said Nancy.

"Since we're not really doing anything, can we go to sleep now or…?" Mike asked.

Nancy looked at Mike, "Yes, but we're going to establish rules for nighttime."

"What-?" Mike scoffed, taken aback.

"Robin, Max, Miya, El, and I will be in my room." Nancy pointed to herself. "We've got enough space and blankets - and the bed too."

"Which means Hopper and Joyce can take our parents' old room?" Mike raised an eyebrow.

"Yes," responded Nancy. "And onto the guys, there's a total of… 7 of you. So we're splitting you up. 3 to the basement, and 3 to Mike's room." Nancy said.

"What- but you girls are a total of 5-." Mike grew silent.

"Well, too bad."

"So…. who's going where?" Steve asked, getting up from the couch.

"Well, that's up to you and Jonathan to decide - see who you want to supervise." Nancy placed her hands at her hips, smiling. "Good luck."

"Oh great," Steve rolled his eyes, looking at Jonathan. "You wanna make your pick first?"