Chapter Nine: Strings

Two days later.

Max had officially come over to reside at the Wheeler's house, and currently, she was alone in Nancy's bedroom with Miya after asking if they could hang out there. They were giggling and murmuring amongst themselves, and Max looked into her eyes. "It's been so long since we hung out, just us." She giggled a little, scooting a bit closer.

"That's true, but," Miya hummed, "that's because you were always with Lucas - and then this whole Vecna ordeal." She threw her arms around Max, engulfing her in a hug as she sighed. "But now we found some time alone." She smiled.

"Yeah." Max pulled away and sat up, swatting her hair away from her eyes and pushing it back.. She looked at her close friend, pursing her lips. "Soo, you and Robin?" She wiggled her eyebrows, inching closer as she eyed Miya with mischievous eyes.

Miya's face reddened, her ears burning upon the mention of Robin. Her heart galloped quickly in her chest, banging against her ribs. "What a-about us?" An awkward laugh fell from her lips, and she slowly glanced back at Max since she had turned away as soon as she was put on the spot.

Max shifted closer, "Are you two… dating?" She smiled daringly.

Miya breathed in, finding herself choking on her saliva, "N-No!"

Max slumped back, "Aw. Y'all would've been cute."

Miya had turned away, feeling like she was being teased. "You think so…?"

Max's eyes had fogged, "I'm sure you would have been."

"Would have…?" Miya furrowed her brows and turned to Max, blinking and scooting herself back as she saw the way Max stood with her hands tensed at her sides, eyes fogged. "Max…?"

A cackle escaped Max's mouth, and she crawled on the bed to get closer to Miya. A twisted smile etched onto her face as she inched closer to the other girl - watching the panic that bounced off her eyes, the quickened breaths that fell from her lips.

Miya had not realized she was close to the edge, soon feeling her hand press against nothing when she was backing away.  She staggered back, and Max's hand pulled her closer.. Her blood was pumping, heart hammering. "M-Max???" Her eyes were wide.

Max's voice distorted slightly, voice becoming more hoarse, and there was a small laugh that resonated from her throat. "Poor Maxine is screaming at me to stop." Max's hand trapped Miya's wrists above her head, her other hand right above her face. "But I think you'd be useful to me just like her." Max's fingers stretched out over Miya's face, bending them a bit, and then her palm sucked in - tip of her fingers barely touching Miya.

Miya gasped sharply, feeling a sting in her chest as she felt something cold consume her insides.

"They won't see it coming," she heard the voice slur.

-

Lucas watched as Max and Miya came down, having heard their footsteps, and he got up from the chair, sweat rolling down his palms. He couldn't forget that night when they were on the rooftop, the way Max shifted so suddenly from herself to One. He gulped, "You two finished your girl talk already?"

Max locked her arm with Lucas's, a smile on her lips, "Yeah! We did." Her fingers laced with his. "It was very fun."

"Yeah," Miya said, a blush on her face. "Very… fun." She looked away, feeling her face flush more as Robin came in with Steve. She looked away quickly, staggering away, murmuring, "Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope-."

"Miya!!" Robin's voice ran down the hall. She walked towards the younger girl, watching the way she stopped in place and turned to look at her.  Her heart pounded, and she breathed in deeply, her lips curving upwards. "Gosh." She caught up with Miya. "You look so cute today." She subconsciously brushed her hand against the girl's, staring deep into her eyes.