🥀 21 🥀

~♡~

Lounging in the luxurious golden metallic tub at Loki's house, Lyla absent-mindedly swigs her glass of wine as she tries to concentrate on the feeling of the bubbles on her skin and not much else

It wasn't working.

Since their chat with everyone in the kitchen, Lyla had been angry at Loki. And she had no right to be. She knew this when she signed up to be with him, that at the end of the day, she was second to everything in this business. Just another character in the play.

She thought it might've changed when they told each other they loved the other, but maybe that was a front too.

Lyla knew Loki. In a way, she was sure, no one else did on this Earth. Save for perhaps his late mother. She saw beyond the steely mask he so rigidly wore, she saw beyond the terrifying exterior to the man who would do anything for those he cared about and would burn the world down if it dared to hurt them.

Thats what she thought anyway.

But that tiny insecure voice in her head was hammering away, reminding her of her gut instincts when she'd first met the stranger in the club all those months ago with Nat. How that voice and feeling had told her to run.

When you'd been in an abusive relationship, you learnt to lean into your gut a lot. You learnt to read microexpressions on people's faces, the way their footsteps sound on the stairs to determine their mood, the smell of their breath. You became hyper aware, because you had to.

To survive.

Maybe she should've listened to her intuition more. She sinks deeper into the bubbles that smell like honey and citrus and pure wealth, as she furrows her brows, drinking more wine to numb the confusion that courses through her veins.

She was entangled into a web of chaos and destruction. But she couldn't also ignore the small voice that told her she loved this man, no matter what he did, no matter what he was. The one that made her breathing catch in her throat at the sight of him.

Loki had given Lyla space since their disagreement. The others, going home amongst the awkwardness, had shared looks with each other that made Lyla's heart sink at the thought of facing Odin. The most fearsome mob boss in North America.

She'd come too far from danger to run straight back into the hands of it. Men were all the same at the end of the day. All they wanted was power. It comes in many different forms, but it's the root of all evil.

Lyla wipes her eyes as she feels her lids grow weary with the weight of the wine. Still aching between her legs from earlier, she sighs as she resigns herself to the fact that she will just have to stay confused. And figure this shit out on her own. One thing at a time.