11.1 | The Things I'd Do For You

"Chicken? Coated. Sauce? Prepared."

I sighed and looked at the pan. Now I really have to do the cooking.

I grabbed the pan and put it on top of the stove.

"Now, how do I know if it's hot enough?" I whispered.

Even if I am no good at cooking, I certainly know that I can't put my hand on the pan to test its heat.

What about my foot? Will it work?

I looked at the recipe book's procedure and read the tip.

To know if it's hot enough, you can splash a bit of water on it. If it sizzles, or you hear a sound like 'zzzssst', you may now proceed to add oil on it."

"Okay, okay, let me get some water," I whispered as I get water from the sink.

"Oh, it's sizzling already," I uttered as I pour the water. "Okay, time for the oil then..." I added the oil to the pan.

"Next, the chicken," I grabbed the chicken in the bowl but some water dropped from it and got into the pan.

And the worst-case scenario happened.

"A-Ah!" I yelled when the oil splattered on me. I immediately turned the stove off and got away from the kitchen.

I rubbed my arms, where most of the oil splattered. "Damn, can't I cook in peace?"

I sighed. It's no good.

"What are you cooking, son?" Mom asked as she come down the stairs in her pajamas.

"J-Just some sweet and sour chicken, mom."

"Oh! That's my favorite food to cook and eat!"

"Yeah, I initially planned to surprise you with breakfast today but it seems like I can't even be in the kitchen for 2 minutes without yelling and freaking out."

She smiled and grabbed an apron. "I'll help you, then."

I looked at her.

"But it won't be a surprise anymore," I sulked.

"Surprise or not, I am already happy that you thought of making me my favorite dish," She smiled. "Besides, we can even bond more if we cook this together, right?"

I smiled and nodded.

"Okay, now, what went wrong earlier is that..."

She then proceeded to demonstrate to me how to cook her favorite dish, and even gave me some tips that are useful when I try to cook alone again. She let me help with the small tasks but all in all, she was the one who did more work than me.

"And ta-da, Liezel and Henry's sweet and sour chicken!" She smiled as she put the dish on the table.

"It looks delicious, I can't wait to dig in!" I said as I scoop rice from the rice pot.

"What's all the kitchen noises about?"