Rufus Emeterio

Rufus Emeterio
September 6th

2:03 am

I slowly wake up to the feeling of breath on my neck,something I thought I wouldn't experience again.My eyelids still heavy but I open them to see a sleeping Mateo curled into my arms.I can't stop a smile growing on my face because he's here,we're here .Nobody can hurt us here,on our safe island .He looks so peaceful here,probably the most calm I've seen him all day.I can't help myself and run my hand through his hair.It's just so soft.He shifts slightly,letting out a quiet "Hmmm" as he does so.Internally I'm freaking the fuck out,thinking I accidentally woke up my friend (is friend the right word?,boyfriend? partner? last friend with benefits?. You know what never mind not the time to get hung up on details).Luckily enough,I didn't.He continues to sleep and I watch as his chest slowly rises and falls.As quiet and cute as the moment is...I feel like shit.
The shittiest I've felt in a while.
Because I know this won't last.I want to cling onto the idea that we're the first people in history to beat deathcast.Because this shit isn't fair.Mateo and I will never have a first date,we won't be able to get our first job or our first house or anything.
This is it.
Any minute now midnight could hit.Maybe some runway mental asylum patient could break through the window and shoot us.

I shake my head to get rid of the thought.I can't do this again.These could be my last few minutes here,I don't want to spend them depressed.I gently kiss Mateo on the forehead,praying to god I don't wake him up, before rolling over to get my phone to take a picture.Creepy as hell,I know but we're probably gonna die in like five minutes so, who gives a shit?.The pic's not that clear since its still super dark and I don't have enough battery for flash.But somehow,he still looks cute.That's gotta be some kind of secret super power of his.Scrolling through my camera roll,seeing everything that we've done together.I stop at the video of Mateo singing to me...

"I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind, that I put down in words . . . how wonderful life is now you're in the world. . . ."

I fucking love this dork

As the video ends I reluctantly check the time on my phone.Earlier I refused to,I dunno why.It doesn't change what's coming.Maybe to hold onto some kind of illusion that we somehow made it.Pretty stupid right?.So I do it,I rip of the bandaid and the time reads...

September 6th
2:29 am

what...

no...

I rub my eyes in disbelief.I bet I just read it wrong.

September 6th
2:29 am

what...