Chapter 1. Choice

For one elusive moment, the players froze, admiring the ball flying into the basket. Everyone was ready for a quick rebound, but they were waiting for the outcome, as if the previous runs of the fifth and sixth numbers of the Horde ended in something other than new points. The score on the electronic scoreboard has changed, demonstrating the impressive advantage of the hosts. The sporting achievements of the Hord Prime Military Academy were not only amazing, they were intimidating. Adora and Catra bumped their fists in tribute to each other and got back into the game. However, the cadets strolled around the playground without much zeal, allowing themselves to fool around a bit. Lonnie pretended to yawn as she blocked the passage to the basket. In training with Coach Weaver, the girls sweated noticeably more. And after that, they could hardly move their legs.

Friendly matches with neighboring schools before the start of the season were equated by the cadets with «beating babies», because they knew there were only a handful of teams that could withstand the Academy athletes. The Men's District Basketball Cups have taken pride of place in the Marble Hall for six years in a row, flaunting in front of girls who dream of adding an undeniable victory to the collection. To realize this dream, they went through hell. Coach Weaver broke each of them and then reassembled them into point-maximizing machines.

The final whistle dismissed the players. Among the black-and-red lockers of the cadets' locker room, a terrible judgment was already waiting.  The coach's face in the buzzing light looked like she was cursing everything that her gaze falls on. As soon as the team closed the door behind them, a tablet flew into Catra. The girl leaned over and exclaimed indignantly:

- Why?!

- Once again late for a game or practice, you will regret that you even came into this world, not to mention crossing the threshold of my gym.

- But I came on time!

Adora exhaled sharply, pressing her back against the cool metal. After two years of studying at the Military Academy, her friend still hadn't mastered the basic principle of being here - don't argue. Whether you are guilty or not, you need to be silent and salute. They may have been in high school, but they lived according to the army order.

- You came last, Murches, which means you're late, - Coach Weaver hovered over number six, forcing her to take a step back.

- It was I who asked her to bring me..., - Adora entered, faltering a little when the woman looked at her, - ...socks. Forgot to take socks. From the barracks.

This time it was Catra who sighed, rolling her eyes at the antics of number five. She always needs to get in, as if without the participation of the blonde, the world will end, and the old witch will devour someone alive. Didn't want the girls on the team to think she was bringing fresh socks to Adora. Stupid rumors and so it became uncontrollable a lot.

Coach Weaver paused to let the girl know what nonsense she was talking about:

- Mertens, tell me, maybe you know why Catra is rude?

- I'm not being rude... ma'am.

- Then why the hell do I still hear your voice? As expected, after the summer you are overgrown with fat, lazy. I got the feeling that you sent clones to practice instead of yourself, while you yourself were chilling somewhere. Calling everything seen by the game does not turn the language. Mediocre? Pf. Sounds too nice. You didn't run around the basketball court, you crawled. Order stilts for everyone? Shall we speed up then?

- I'm sorry, Coach, but the opposing team barely moved, why..., - Lonnie stopped, realizing that she was brainwashing, while swaying on the ocean waves during the summer vacation.