Chapter 2. Aspirations

The trees closed front the Hord Prime Military Academy, when the narrow road leading east swerved. Soon the high spire of the chapel also disappeared from view. Adora turned away from the window. She was motion sick in the back seat by Mr. Swiftwind - the coach of the Etheria basketball team personally came on his day off to pick up a newcomer. The young man was smoking through the open window, his long red hair blowing in the wind. He handed the schoolgirl a pack of cigarettes.

- Sorry, sometimes I get so rude. Will you?

- No, thank you, sir.

Another life began too abruptly. The cadet felt like was landing on an unknown planet, where every little thing screamed how little she knew about everything outside the parade ground and basketball court. The bridge that Mertens had left behind blazed with wild flames, making it impossible to change her mind. The shores were rapidly moving away. Don't jump over. Don't swim across. Don't even take a look. Deep breaths helped keep in the alien atmosphere, if only to keep from bursting into tears. When do the right thing, don't have to run. And when say goodbye, best friend doesn't show the fuck.

- It's better to get rid of tears right now, - the driver looked at the girl through the salon mirror, - Because we are approaching. Time for just one song.

- Think I'll refrain, sir.

- Are you sure? I can slow down, go for a walk.

- Ahem! It's not necessary, sir. Everything is fine.

- Well, whatever you say, Adora.

When Mr. Swiftwind turned on "Eye Of The Tiger" at full volume, the girl realized that the sad music had been playing not in her damn head all the way, therefore, as entered the Academy grounds through the main gate, she released a smile. This time she will try to do everything right.

***

In daylight, the Etheria campus looked like a family camping: there were benches along the lake, the grass was mowed only near the main alley, and the boathouse looked more attractive than the administration building. The hustle and bustle of checking in felt like unpacking presents under a Christmas tree. Adora knew that she deserved nothing but coal dust, but she enthusiastically accepted the things bought for her in the warehouse. New bed linen caused delight, comparable only to the completion of a forced march. Instead of a uniform, she was given a polo shirt of insanely yellow color, and the girl also accepted this with genuine gratitude. She was preparing to take a confident step into the future, where she would not have to do harm for the sake of good. The overgrown pyramid of belongings collapsed right on the schoolboy walking towards her.

- Why are you hitting me every time we meet?

- Oh, sorry! I... Bow! Glad to see you.

- It may sound strange, but it's mutual, Dorothy. Mind if I help you? - the guy picked up several bundles from the ground.

- Oh, yes, thanks ... I just don't know where I need to go yet.

- It's good that I know this, right? - ignoring the paths and signs, the high school student led acquaintance through a spacious field, - It's so unusual to see you ...

- Sober? – the blonde smiled.

- Ha! You obviously had a unique first party.

- But I'm so ashamed.

- Ashamed every time you have fun?

- Well, the fun is out of control, - Mertens muttered, losing touch with the present for a second.

- I can't even imagine, is it possible to keep absolutely everything under control?..  So, look to the left. Humanitarian subjects are taught in this building. Don't trust the campus map or you'll get lost. And there you can see the roof of the library further. By the way, this is your failed crime scene. A whole crowd has been trying to figure out what the red dot on the pavement means for two weeks now.