Chapter 15 - Perservering

((A/N: Y'all in the mood for an out of season chapter based during the holidays? Yeah? Fantastic, here you go! No? Well, that's rough buddy, you're getting it anyways...))

[Avengers' Upstate Complex, December 2015]

The sounds of combat could be heard from inside the large reinforced chamber of the facility, being made by the entire resident team, all currently in the middle of a training exercise.

Darren parried a combo from Steve, redirecting the soldier's hits before knocking him off his feet. He looked over his shoulder just in time to brace himself against Sam swooping down to tackle him.

Being lifted off the ground, the enhanced fire-user managed to throw his body around in such a way that he messed up Sam's flight path, and they swerved off course, allowing him to redirect the Falcon into the nearby War Machine, and land back onto the floor.

He looked over to see Vision occupied with Tony in his own armor, while Wanda was tangling with Natasha in a hand-to-magic hand duel, doing what she could to keep her at bay. 'Odd...', he thought to himself as he witnessed his girlfriend's performance.

He knew how good she'd gotten in melee combat under their training, as well as how much her magic could help with any lack of fighting skill. She shouldn't be that much the back-foot.

In his distracted state, he was winded as he took a vibranium disc shield to the chest, then was tackled from behind the knees by Rhodes' armored arm.

"Ow...", he grumbled, before placing his hand to his earpiece. "I'm getting triple-teamed here... a little help please?", he asked his training allies. Wanda said nothing, still keeping Natasha at arms' distance. "I am otherwise indisposed, unfortunately...", Vision replied as he and Tony continued to maneuver around each other in the upper half of the room.

"Fine, I'll come through you then.", Darren said, getting back on his feet, and running towards the two flying metal targets, while keeping an ear out for the other two that were likely banking around to hit him in the back.

Sure enough, he spun on his foot with an ignited arm, swinging it around to smack aside a repulsor blast from Rhodes, then using the other to blast a light wave of flame between himself and Sam. "Hope you weren't too attached to your arm-hair, Wilson...", he said, as that was probably the worst it would do as Falcon narrowly dodged his fire.

He kept running again, and directed the heat and flame downward, letting him launch up into the air, and shakily fly. He shot straight at Tony and Vision, the only problem being the android positioned perfectly between the two human Avengers.

"Vis, phase now!", Darren signaled, and watching as Vision's form shimmered, letting him pass right through, heated punch winding up to nail Tony right in the Iron jaw.

At least that was the plan.

Supposedly, their opponents had seen this coming, and therefore Stark was ready for the would-be surprise attack, as he waited for the last second to hit Darren with both repulsors, the young hero too close to block.

As he crashed to the floor, Darren's shoulder emitted a loud crack, making him grunt in pain. The way he'd landed had probably broken something. He'd be able to heal it in less than an hour after this, but for now, it hurt like a bitch...

"Wanda, two thirds of 'Red Team' are getting wiped, we could really use you getting serious.", Darren groaned, looking over to see the brunette's strain and frustration at what she was still occupied with.

As if something had suddenly switched on in her mind, Wanda looked a bit more focused, and suddenly reached out her hand to wrap Nat in her magic, and pin her back against the wall, out of her hair.