007 - blossoms of hope

The morning arrived. Yelan didn't even bother going to college. Instead, she stood in the river, patiently waiting for that man who she encountered last night. Will he even arrive?  He promised that he'd come here, right? Her thoughts kept cycling over and over again.

Glimpsing at her watch, she can see that the time was already 8:15am. Did he forget?

"I think he forgot- I may just have to pa-." Yelan gets interrupted by someone shouting.

Ayato rushes towards the river, and begins panting like a dog.

"I'm here!" Ayato grips onto the railing, his back arched down."

"Took you long enough, I was ready to pack my bags and head out." Yelan said in a disappointed tone, while leaning against the railing.

Ayato begins a long speech as to why he was late. "See, I was going to arrive early, but then I forgot to bring you a gift. By that time, I was already almost halfway to the river. I know, I know, I would've been earlier if I just decided to go without bringing one. But I can't keep you off the hook like that. So here I present to you..."

Ayato brought something out from his bag. When he pressed its stomach, its tentacles started roaring. Yet, it wasn't even that threatening, as its goofy little eyes made her laugh.

Then she realized...

"Wait, isn't this the exact one I contemplated buying in that store?" she asked, clearly surprised. "Also, why would you even bother giving me a gift? I mean, I'm grateful and all... thanks, but why?"

"Oh no, oh no, oh no, what should I tell her? I knew she wanted that, because I observed her staring at it for a while at the store," he thought to himself while trying to find a good excuse.

"You actually wanted this? I seriously had no idea, I just bought it because I felt bad. Yesterday, you left without saying a word. I thought that you were upset at me, so to cheer you up, I brought this for you." he said while scratching his head. "Ah, and I also sincerely apologize for that incident yesterday."

"Well, that's an odd coincidence. Regardless, thank you for this. I like it, no wait, I love it!" she said in excitement. "Oh, and yes, don't worry, you got the entire situation wrong. I wasn't upset because of you, I was upset because I thought of that question. I don't think this is any of your fault though. In fact, you put that interesting question in mind, which allowed me to not think about all of my assignments piling up and such. Think of it like that, huh?" she added, while having her hands on the railing.

"When you put it like that, it makes me feel a bit better." he chuckled.

"But still, maybe I was wrong to even think a dream like mine was even possible," she looks down at the pond and feels emptier than ever.

Ayato looks at her and feels a gush of guilt splashing inside of him. He takes her hand and tells her, "Remember, your dream is possible. This system is a setback, not something that could stop it. That's something that I never considered while asking you that question yesterday. You have to escape this system somehow. You can't keep living inside of it and keep thinking of your dream. You have to make some sacrifices for your dream, but it'll be worth it. At least with living the life that you always desired, you're having fun. That's all that matters. Life should be about doing whatever you want," He smiles at her to ensure she hasn't lost her passions and hopes yet. Meanwhile, his life is already in shambles.

"Do you really know what you're saying? Can this work?" the voices echoed in his mind.

With some newfound hope in her mind, Yelan decided that she'll pursue her dream life no matter what may stop her. Until this point, she never felt this motivated before. She knows that she'll experience some setbacks, but she has to overcome them. She walked away, but not before composing a proper goodbye to Ayato. Yelan also promised that she'll at the river by 6pm tomorrow. She also thanked him for giving her this newfound motivation.