The Coming Frost

Jaune P.O.V

It's been a month since the Autumn Festival.....since the night me and Keylana danced together and became lovers to one another. We told the Clan after a while and they all congrated us even Ravalynn and Fenfaren.....but I swear I saw Fenfaren have gleem in his eye....like he had planned something. Keylana and her family thanked me for the White Buck I gifted to them as a sacrifice and they had the blacksmith take off the antlers and make them into a gift. Though they never told me what it was or who for. But I didn't ask.

So far it's been peaceful. The frost has set in slowly and the land is a wondrous shade of white as the snow begins to settle. I was currently outside the house chopping up some of the wood from the cellar for fire wood. It was just me and Keylana here as Fenfaren and Ravalynn along with Dremir and his wife Amelia we're with some guards visiting a near by Clan to spread the wishes and blessings of Fadis to them as we were in his domain of Winter. Little did I know what was on the horizon for the Clan.

"-aune! Jaune!" Keylana called as I swung the ax down and cut another piece of fire wood.

"Yes Keylana love?" I asked as she walked down from the porch.

"The Frost is setting. Let's bring in the fire wood for now and get it set for the fire tonight." She said as I nodded and whistled for Aspen and Ranger who barked and came running.

"Grab some wood you two." I said as they took a few pieces I their mouths and came in with me and Keylana as we set the wood up by the fireplace in a basket and I put a few in and lite it to start a fire to warm the house.

"Any news on your parents love?" I asked as she nodded.

"No. Though if it's the Clan I'm thinking of they will be back by nightfall. Daybreak at the latest if they spend the night. It's the Clan mother was once from." She said as I went to the kitchen and started some dinner. I grabbed a bit of veal which Aspen snapped at almost.

"Down girl let me cook this and then I'll give you and your brother your dinner." I said as she whined.

I then sighed and went and took out a big elk leg skinned and gave to her but told her to share with Ranger which she does anyway.

"Sometimes I swear that those wolves are like us." Keylana said leaning against the kitchen counter.

"I know what you mean love. But it's what Amera gifted them with." I said as she smiled and nodded.

Just then the door was knocked on.

"I'll get like love." Keylana said as I nodded and went on cooking the veal.

"What?!?" I heard Keylana shout in shock as I turned off the burner and ran to her side.

"What is it!?!" I asked when I saw one of the guards.

"Jaune.... it's Lord Fenfaren and Lady Ravalynn..... they've been wounded." He said.

I then went and grabbed my long sword.

"Take us to them." I said as I handed Keylana her daggers.

The guard nodded and took us to the healers but where I saw Sir Dremir and his wife.

"Dremir!" I called out as he looked to me.....and I saw the scar over his eye. A fresh one at that.

"What happened Dremir?" I asked.

"Damned.....Dark Elven cowards. Attacked us on the way back from the Whitedoe Clan village. Only Lord Fenfaren, Lady Ravalynn, my wife, two guards and I escaped from them but not unscathed. Lord Fenfaren was the worst....Jaune they used some sort of poison or curse. His wound stopped bleeding but it hasn't healed yet." He said as I walked into the hut to see Fenfaren on a mat and the healer using her magic on him.