Chapter 17

Caleb watched intently as she popped a bite of human liver into her mouth, relishing in every detail, every microexpression she made. She wasn't just eating his food, and she was thoroughly enjoying it, savoring the taste on her tongue, her mouth swirling as if trying to discern each individual ingredient. He found his blood pumping faster at that moment. At last, Caleb had found a true connoisseur!

"So what do we think?" he asked, attempting to hide the trepidations of excitement leaking from his voice.

"It's really good. And you said you made this yourself?"

He nodded, a little disappointed by the somewhat diluted reaction, though he could tell her mask was still up. "Cooking is more a hobby for me than a true passion, but I do try to do the culture justice and show proper respect in my craft."

Again, he watched as she thoroughly savored each bite of his cooking. Those little microexpressions of hers were becoming his personal candies. A shame she would never be able to fully appreciate just how much work went into this dish. Getting himself invited into the old pervert's home, meticulously building a rapport with him by offering up photos of adult models in panties he lied and said were from his classmates.

The body he had to bury when it was all said and done.

"So what is it your mother does for work?" she asked, staring up at him with this cute little puppy dog look in her eyes.

"She's a Medical Resident at Shinjuku Hospital. We've been a little all over the place since she started her career, but I'm hoping with her residency having finally begun, things will be a bit more stable."

"And when did you move to Japan?" she asked next, resting her head in her palms.

"About four years ago," he admitted, finding this sudden interest she had in his life rather refreshing. "What about you? Have you always lived in this part of Tokyo?"

She nodded before, somewhat surprisingly, immediately shifting the topic of conversation back to him. "Do you have siblings?"

One question after another, Akane would ask about every little facet of his life. It was more than a little jarring if he was being honest. After years of his fellow students only pretending to care about who he really was, he'd finally met someone who wanted to actually know more about him. Know everything about him, apparently.

It was...so unbelievably validating. After years of feeling like an outsider, Caleb needed this. He really did.

More than once, he tried to gear the conversation back to her just to maintain appearances. But she would have none of it. It was the cutest thing! She genuinely did not want him to stop talking about himself, and he loved it. He told her everything he was comfortable letting her know. About his father and how he tragically passed away, about the expensive education he received growing up, his private tutoring, anything she wanted.

"So why'd you move to Japan?"

Before he could answer, the bell rang, and his heart sank.

"Darn, looks like we're out of time," he admitted apologetically.

"But..."

"Hey, there will be plenty more opportunities," he assured. "I really did enjoy talking to you, Akane."

His heart started beating in his ears upon realizing what he just let slip out.

"Oh...is it okay if I call you that?" he asked, genuinely flustered. "Or would you prefer..."

"Just Akane would be wonderful," she assured overt excitement in her voice.

He smiled again, legitimately happy to hear that. "Well, alright then. I'll see you around, Akane."

And then he left. Honestly, Caleb really did wish he could have stayed longer. Something about her was so completely different from any other girl he'd met so far. It wasn't just that she enjoyed his cooking or that she seemed legitimately interested in knowing more about his life. It was something more than that. Something he couldn't quite place his finger on.

That girl. A massive smile enveloped his lips. She is adorable!