Chapter 36

Akane spent the remainder of the day helping Caleb prepare dinner for the three of them. He wanted to do something a bit simpler to give his very eager-to-learn girlfriend a chance to help out in the kitchen. Tonight, they would be having braised short ribs with a side of freshly steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes, for which he'd prepared his own special red wine sauce for the ribs as well as a bone marrow gravy courtesy of the obnoxious elevator cougher.

It never failed; just about any activity the two started together, whether it was cooking or simply watching TV, they always inevitably ended up on the parlor sofa making out. This go around, it did not take long at all for Caleb to get worked up watching his girlfriend cut vegetables in the apron he'd bought for her.

"So for the carrots, we're going to perform what's called a rondelle cut," Caleb instructed, showing Akane how to slice the carrots in such a way as to get the round flat circular shapes he desired for the vegetable steam.

"Like this?" she asked while gingerly cutting the carrot she'd just finished peeling.

Akane felt him press into her back, his arms wrapping around her to gently grip her wrists and guide her hand.

"Try and make the slices a little bit thinner," he gently instructed. "Too thick, and they won't cook all the way through in the steamer, which can mess up the texture."

She smiled knowingly, fully relaxing back into him. "You make such a wonderful sensei."

Caleb smirked before brushing her hair aside and gently speaking directly into her ear in such a way as to send delightful shivers down her spine.

"I couldn't ask for a more gorgeous student."

Akane quietly sighed, shutting her eyes and relaxing into his touch, placing a hand against his face as he began kissing along her neck in a way that was so completely unnecessary yet so welcomed all the same.

"Why does it always feel like I can never get enough of you?" he growled in her ear before marking her neck with his teeth. "The way you make me feel, Akane, some days I just want to...gobble you up."

"Darling, you..." She shuddered in delight as he nibbled at her ear. "... you're supposed to be teaching me how to steam vegetables." Despite her words, Akane was actively pressing herself back into him by this point. "We're trying to make a good first impression on your mom, remember? I can't afford a hickey right now."

But, of course, she was already lost. Not long after he started getting her riled up, Akane dropped the knife entirely, wrapping her arms around his neck and latching onto him as they kissed feverishly. Caleb lifted her onto the counter, where she wrapped her legs around his waist. Soon after, it didn't take long for them to end up on the couch.

"I've come to realize something," Caleb quietly murmured to her between breaks of liplock. "You've become my greatest distraction. Just a few words, a smile, that's all that's needed to pull my heart and mind away from whatever passions I may have in life that aren't you."

"Why do you always do this to me?" she complained with a massive smile on her face. "You always light my heart on fire at the most inconvenient times, Darling. You know already how deep my obsession for you runs. How passionate I am about you. And you use that against me in the most beautiful and infuriating of ways, you evil man."

"It's your fault I'm like this," he insisted playfully. "Your smile, your laugh, even just the way you hold a knife compels me to find new ways to bring myself close to you." Caleb placed her hand against his chest so she could feel his runaway heartbeat. "I could commit arson with what I feel for you, Akane."

"I will commit arson with what I feel for you, my love," she assured him. "I'll burn away anything that does not belong in our forever."

As usual, the two went completely overboard and completely lost track of time. Kissing turned into cuddling on the couch, which turned back into kissing again. Both teenagers were so wrapped up in each other they completely failed to hear the sound of the elevator doors opening.