Chapter 48

When Akane and Caleb made it back to the surface, they were immediately taken to an ambulance to receive medical attention. Despite being coated in blood, neither one of them had sustained any major injuries. Just a few cuts and bruises.

An investigator arrived soon after, asking if they could explain what happened. The shaken teens explained they had no idea why they were kidnapped or what the terrorists wanted. Only that they kept shouting in Mandarin. A language, as Akane explained to the officer, that neither one of them spoke.

Soon after, Caleb's mother arrived in her car. Upon explaining who she was to the officer manning the perimeter, she was escorted to the two kids. They immediately hopped out of the ambulance and ran two her as she hugged them both.

"Mom!" Caleb shouted in relief.

"Caleb!" She hugged her son tightly to him, making a real show of it for the officers. "Oh, thank God you're both alright."

"Their vitals all look good," the EMT on the scene explained. "Minor cuts and abrasions only. All the same, I recommend letting them be seen by a doctor."

"I am a doctor," she explained, placing her hands around both of them protectively. "I'll be keeping an eye on them. For now, I want these two home."

The EMTs bowed to her respectfully, after which she exchanged a few words with the detective before taking them both back to her car.

Once they were in, they all dropped the act entirely.

"Well, this was certainly more excitement than I had planned for today."

"I'd like it on record that I was completely minding my own business this time," Caleb insisted while adjusting his seatbelt.

She sighed wearily. "Just as well, you must have killed every Hunter in Tokyo with this little stunt. We won't be hearing from them again any time soon."

"All but one," Caleb growled in frustration.

"Yes, well, she's hardly going anywhere," Angelica assured. "Mrs. Taiso will be looking at life in prison for this, I'm certain."

A sadistic grin spread across Caleb's lips. "A shame... it'll be some time before she's reunited with her family."

"Speaking of which, how are my parents holding up?" Akane asked worriedly.

Angelica shared a knowing glance over her shoulder with her son.

"Your parents will be just fine, sweetie," she assured her. "All the same, they've agreed you should stay with me for the time being. At least until we know the extent of your injuries."

She frowned at that but otherwise nodded before cuddling up next to Caleb. "Well...okay."

"For now, let's just be thankful the escalation stops here. At least for the time being."

She sniffed the air. Her car smelled like a sewer now.

"You're both showering the moment we get home."