Chapter 8

When I wake, I want to go back to sleep. Because I wake up to a harsh reality. My body won't move. I don't want it to move. My head feels heavy. Even my eyelids, they are difficult to open completely.

I am in a white chamber. There are bright lights all around. It's disorienting.

Hey, I know this place.

Somehow, I turn my head. I find my glasses to my side. Thank goodness.

Though I wince at the pain prevalent all over my body, I bring my hand up and above my head, and reach for the glasses.

With the little strength I have in me, I put them on. And as I wear them, my presumption is proven correct. I am back in the alien lab.

But when I turn over, the other bed is empty.

Chap is nowhere to be found.

I roll my head back to the centre, and try to sleep again; I don't make a move to remove my glasses.

_____________

Days, nights, time is irrelevant. It passes and passes. And I pass it onwards. I don't eat, I don't pee, I don't shit.

But I am kept alive, by all the fancy tech I am surrounded by. And the worst thing about this is, it's not even alien. It's all man-made.

I don't talk, I don't do anything.

I think, but whatever I think fades into oblivion as the same traumatic scene rushes back into my brain. I weep without sorrow. I weep in shock. And I don't know what else I do, but I sure do cry a lot. In silence. In absence of warmth, on the cold marble bed, I lie, motionless.

___________

Trying to break free from it all, I look for facets in my mind. Of ways I can trick it into feeling that it's all okay, however miserable that may sound. I need distractions. But what can I do? Even my mind has no solace. I don't remember anything.

But maybe saying that is not completely true.

I do remember Mom and her "antics". I also remember my good-for-nothing being, and how I am a complete buffoon. But I also remembered some interesting details last time. Like about Helena and her wedding. And... those girls.

It's hard to make me admit it ('cause I won't). Beth is unbeatable. Whatever those girls were like, I don't think they could beat Beth in terms of cuteness or character.

My mind relaxes a bit as I think about her. She is strong. She will pull through. But am I strong?

What am I? Who am I? I bring up my hand which feels so heavy all the time and drop it on my face with a thud.

But-

"You know, you can do it, don't you? You are stupid but you are not totally dumb. I wouldn't have dated you if you had no redeeming qualities. " I hear a voice. I see its owner.

Huh?

Who is that girl.

I try to think harder. "A table for two... " I mutter out. There are drinks for the two of us. Empty plates. And-

My hearts skips a beat. Who is she!

"Come on don't just stare at me. I don't have all day. You'd do well to quickly pay and leave. I have other errands to run."

Her voice and tone...is not exactly the sweetest, but it's full of character. Looking at me, she grunts, looks down and reluctantly gives out some cash from her heart shaped purse. "Just to be fair," she says, with an air of justice.