Chapter 7

We had been there for close to an hour now. Me and Kenzie had been dancing with each other since we got there. We found Sydney and danced with her and her friends. It got quiet as the principal came on stage to announce king and queen. We found the boys right in front of the stage. The principal said there were a lot of write-ins for King. He finally got the result for Queen.

“And, the Prom Queen this year is…Skylar!” they don’t bother saying my last name because everyone know who I am and I’m the only one with that name. I went on stage and got my crown and stood back. He finally announced the Prom King.

“And, our Prom King write-in is…Machine Gun Kelly!!” My jaw dropped. Dub had to push him on stage. He walked on stage and all the L’s went up. He took the microphone.

“I love y’all for this. Seriously. LACE UP!” he said. He came and grabbed and walked off stage with me. 

“Dude! That shit is awesome!” Dub said when he walked up to us.

“Hey! Let’s go change!” Kenzie screamed over the music. We made our way to the bathroom and changed. We fixed our make-up and talked before we went back out.

“I swear, y’all are meant to be together. I mean, come on. King and Queen? Tell me that ain’t a coincidence.”

“Lets just go. You want us together or not?” I laughed as she pushed me out the door. We walked out to hear Wild Boy playing and saw all three boys on stage. We went right up by the stage and danced. After the song, he called me on stage/ Invincible started playing and I was handed a microphone. I sang my part and eventually the song was over. They played some slower songs and me and Kenzie were dancing and laughing. Kells watched me with a smile on his face. Then they played Rihanna’s Stay. The song I sang at the talent show.

“This is your chance. This song is the whole reason this started. Go.” she pushed me towards him.

“Oh, it’s finally my turn.” he laughed.

“Duh. I had to get your dance in there somewhere.” I joked. I was thinking about how to approach the whole subject. He moved and sat his hands on my hips. I put my arms around his neck.

“I have a question. I was gonna make a big deal and ask more questions then necessary, but I just to get it over with it.” I said. He raised his eyebrow, and smiled.

“Ask away.” he laughed.

“I want there to be an ‘us.’ I want to be with you. I’ve waited long enough.” it wasn’t a question, but he got the point.

“Do you know how long I’ve waited, to be with you. Okay, not very long. But it was killing me. It feels…right when I’m with you. Might as well make it official.” he smiled. All that was left to do was kiss him. I couldn’t say anything so I didnt. This one felt different though. Right.

“I love you, Colson. I really do. I don’t know how I can say that after a couple of weeks, but I do.”

“I love you too, Sky.” the song ended and the music got more upbeat. We went to find Dub and Kenzie. We danced the rest of the night. After we left, Dub and Kells pulled into the parking lot of a corner store. They came out with bottles. Kenzie opened her window, got halfway out, and screamed. I didn’t. Only because I was so tired. We got back to the house and drank 3 of the 4 bottles they got. I passed out on the couch. He must’ve carried me up to mine and Kenzie’s room because I woke up in my bed. 

I looked over and looked at the time on my phone. 1 in the afternoon. I looked over to see Kenzie laying there awake.

“Hey Skylar.”

“What’s up McKenzie?”

“We graduate in one week. This shits crazy.” I sat up and looked at her.

“It is. But, honestly, I cant wait. I just don’t know how I’ll hold myself together next Sunday.”

“Let’s go wake the boys up!” she said, scrambling out of bed.

We went to get Dub up first. Then all three of us went to wake up Kells. We saved Slim for last. It was the best, probably because he fell out of his bed. We went to sit in the kitchen. We all sat at the table.

“This…is crazy.” Kenzie said. I looked at Colson, my boyfriend, still not believing it.

“It really is.” everyone jumped when there was a knock on the door. It was my mom. 

“Hey everyone. How was last night?” she said, knowing we were all hung-over.

“Amazing! The best night ever!” Kenzie answered.

“What Kenzie said,” I laughed, “Where’s dad?” I asked, wondering if was asking questions yet.

“Uh…about that…” Shit. I knew something was up. “He’s..in the car.”

“Shit!” I ran upstairs to get dressed. I had pulled Kenzie with me.

“What is going on?!” she then realized why I looked so worried. “Is your dad here?…” she asked. I nodded and ran downstairs.

“Mom, before he comes in, I should let you know-” Colson cut me off.

“We’re together. He wont beat my ass will he?” 

“I cant promise anything.” my mom said, worried. Just then my dad came in and slammed the door, making everyone jump for the second time today.

“Skylar! What the hell?! Why are you in Cleveland with all these boys?! What the hell is wrong with you?!” He said, beyond pissed off. I was scared for my life. Colson could tell I was scared, and him and my mom stepped up to face my dad.

“Calm down. This isn’t necessary. We can talk about this at home.”

“Home? The only reason she’s coming home is to get her shit and get out! She can find another place to stay!” Ashleigh had come out to comfort me. I had never seen him like this. My brother came in and mouthed sorry to me. I just waved at my dad, gesturing to get him out of here. My brother had finally gotten him out, and my mom turned around.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t think he’d be that mad…mad enough to kick you out…”

“Where the hell are you gonna stay?” my brother asked when he came back in.

“She can stay here.” Ashleigh said from behind me.

“She IS staying here.” Colson said. He came over and hugged me. “You okay?” I shook my head, too exhausted to pretend I was okay. I went to sit on the couch and broke down. Colson came over and held me, for what felt like hours. People left the room. My mom, dad, and brother left. I eventually went upstairs to what was now my room. I laid down and stared at the ceiling. Someone cleared their throat and I sat up.

“Hey, me and Kells are gonna go pack your clothes and stuff and bring it back here. Your dad isn’t there if you wanna come…” she said quietly. I got up and slipped my chucks on. We went to the house and packed pretty much my whole room. I cried when I walked out of the door for the last time. I said bye to my mom and brother, hoping this wouldn’t be the last I saw them, other than graduation.

“You think dads coming to graduation?” I asked wiping my eyes.

“I cant say, I don’t even know where he went.” she started crying.

“I’m sorry. For everything.”

“Its fine Sky. Go have fun.” she said and walked over to Colson. “Take care of her. I’m glad she’ll be with you. I like you. And I’m sorry about her dad.”

“It’s fine. And I plan on taking care of her. She’s all that matters with Casie, music second.” he said looking at me. I started crying again, surprised I had any tears left.

We all said bye again, and we were on our way back to my new home in Cleveland.