15: The Letter That Killed

"Hm, Viktor!" Josiah called as he adjusted his glasses whilst reading on the bed.

"Yes?" Viktor replied from the bathroom.

"Could you come here for a second? I need to ask you something."

The doctor opened the door of the bathroom and stepped out in nothing but his sleeping pants. He tied his hair back into a messy bun and sat next to Josiah.

"What's up?" Viktor leaned closer to his fiancé and took a quick glance at what he was reading.

"What's your stand on having an out-of-town wedding?" Josiah questioned.

"I don't really have an opinion, but why do you ask? Are you thinking of hosting the wedding somewhere special?"

"Well, I've been considering it. Not to say there aren't any nice places here to hold a reception at, I mean if we hold it here, I have my eye set on Kiyamond cliff."

"A cliff? You want to get married at a cliff?" Viktor arched an eyebrow. "Who are you throwing over a cliff? Is it me in case I say I don't?"

"No! Of course not! I'm not throwing anyone off a cliff." Josiah shook his head. "Kiyamond cliff has an amazing view of the kyanite fields below it. When moonlight hits the minerals just right, they sparkle and some of the dust rises up too, making everything sparkly. It's a beautiful place and we can have a matching floral archway to get married under.

Also . . . you'd say I don't at the altar . . . ?"

Josiah looked up at Viktor with frightened eyes and for once Viktor felt guilty about his bad sense of humor.

"Of course not my love. I would never say I don't." Viktor kissed his cheek. "No matter where you pick to get married, I'll say I do in every one."

Josiah smiled warmly at that reassurance and nuzzled Viktor's face.

"Well, this brings up my other option." Josiah exhaled and twirled his thumbs in his lap. "I was born here and I've been living most of my adult life in the capital, but actually I grew up in Koeur-Krown."

"Koeur-Krown province?" Viktor tilted his head. "I did not know that, but maybe I should have inferred as much."

"Why is that?"

"Well, you're a sucker for fancy tea, and I say that sparingly. You're into the really fancy and ridiculously expensive tea, not to mention all your clothes have the signature of the best of the best silver seamstress on the inside. That town is where all the filthy rich noble families live in, but since you always said you were from here I never guessed."

"Is that really the reputation we have?? I had no idea. I know it's an expensive place, b-but I was considering it because well my father and my sister live there, as well as the rest of my family. It's not that they can't travel here, but I thought it would be nice to have the town that watched me grow up see me finally marry someone I love.

There's a cathedral, one of the most beautiful ones in the kingdom, and the courtyards are so magical. When I used to go there as a child, I always imagined myself getting married at that altar someday."

The ambassador of Lamia was staring into his lap with a reminiscent smile on his lips, also caressing the gold of his engagement ring. When he finally realized the long tangent he had gone on, he looked up urgently at Viktor and said:

"B-But we don't have to get married there! It was just a silly child's illusion, I think I'd prefer most of our money go towards a beautiful house for us. We don't have to spend any money on--"

"Okay, sweetie, I'm going to stop you there." Viktor lifted a finger and pressed it against his lips. He looked offended for a second, but then he smirked and chuckled. "Who said you were contributing money into our wedding?"