16: Meet The Bloodferns

At the break of dawn, the ambassador and the royal doctor of the Crows loaded all their luggage into a carriage destined to the Stronghold of Asphodel.

The Stronghold was a region in the kingdom of Lamia that was walled from the rest of the surrounding area. It was one of the four that stood at the corners of the entire kingdom for protection of the nearby towns.

Asphodel wasn't only one of the safest places in Lamia, but also, the home of the high noble house of Bloodfern. What mysteries lied ahead for the couple remained to be seen, but for now, the trip ahead was the first worry.

"I believe that is all, you may set course when you're ready." Josiah nodded to the coach taking them to their destination once he loaded everything.

"Yes, sir." The coach replied.

The ambassador climbed onto the carriage's cabin and heard the coach urge the horses to start moving as soon as he shut the door. His red eyes looked dejected at his fiancé who was simply sitting across from him reading a book.

Viktor hadn't said a word to him since he gave the signal to go see his family, and frankly, Josiah had no idea if he should even try to talk to him at all. He didn't want to make him angrier than he probably already was.

Josiah exhaled quietly through his nose and leaned on his palm to stare out the window. He decided to take a stab at trying to get Viktor to talk, so he said quietly:

"Did you finish your work last night?"

"Yes." Viktor replied without lifting his eyes from his literature.

"That's good. What are you reading?"

"A history book on the capital's merchant district."

Silence fell again inside the cabin with only the trotting of the horses and rattling of the iron wheels filling in the gaps. Josiah was terrible at managing silence, he hated it and never knew how to deal with it. So, he was truly dying for Viktor to just talk to him.

Another beautiful three hours of awkward silence passed by until Viktor shut his book and finally stared at Josiah.

"I need to set some ground rules for you before we arrive." Viktor looked seriously at his mate. "And because you asked to go in the first place, these are all non-negotiable. You will do as I say, or I swear to Luna Josiah, you will not hear the end of it from me. Do you understand me?"

Josiah looked at his lap and nodded. He could see Viktor's point, this was only fair.

"First rule, do not get out of my sight." Viktor sighed. "Anywhere you want to go, I will escort you. I don't care if it's the bathroom, the dining room, or the guest room. Rule number two, you will not eat or drink anything until I taste it first, or touch anyone or anything.

Rule number three, and this one Josiah, you need to be very careful with. I know you have this idea that there's kindness in all people, but I'm telling you now before you see it for yourself, they're not what they appear to be. They will stab you in the back the second you turn around.

So the rule is, do not, under any circumstances trust anything they tell you or any one of them."

The first two rules Josiah could make peace with, but the last one? It seemed excessive in his opinion.

"Alright, I shall abide by your rules. While I don't intend to change them, can I ask you something then?" Josiah asked.

"Fine."

"Why do you speak so low of your family? I can't imagine how a single event lead you to distrust them so much like they're deviants and thieves."

Viktor furrowed his eyebrows into a frown, but since he had already let Josiah ask away, he had no choice but to answer.