four.

04

SLEEPLESS NIGHTS

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Five sleepless nights after quidditch try outs and June was once again sitting several seats away from her team mates in the Grand Hall. They had just broke the news to the students that did and did not make the cut into the team, watching as the unlucky few deserted the dining hall with their heads down. Only two happy Slytherin students remained.

Firstly it was Joseph Warren who had made it onto the team as a second Beater next to Angus Teal. Joseph belonged to a prestigious half blood family who had been known to rise the ranks of dark groups through their undying participation and ability to execute orders. Joseph stood out among the Slytherins as his twin brother, Joshua, had been disowned for being a Hufflepuff. Joseph was brutal, everything a Beater needed to be. He almost made Angus Teal look sane.

Secondly, a new Seeker was needed to replace the previous seeker who had graduated. The only second year that was fast enough to come close to the golden snitch was Ennis Elms. The Elms family was considered low ranking by most of the Slytherins, most of whom were guided by old prejudice and still remember how his great grandfather had betrayed a marriage to a cunning pure blooded witch for a muggle nurse. He was only selected for the team due to his small size which made him faster than the others. Admittedly, Juniper had been the first to recommend Ennis to Adrian who then stole her idea and presented it to Marcus, subsequently landing Ennis his new title as Seeker. 

To make matters worse, June had been not-so-formally introduced to her replacement, Avan Crockett. She had known Avan since the train ride to Hogwarts in their first year. The fellow fifth year who exceeded in many of his lessons and had a rich family history. His grandfather, Winky Crockett, was a favoured Slytherin Captain from the 40s. His mother followed in pursuit and also lead the team during her education. A fact he loved to flaunt at every chance he got. 

The past few days of sleepless nights, over bearing amounts of homework and lack of inclusion in team decisions left Juniper feeling drained. She was already considering sneaking down to the potions laboratory and brewing her own Peaceful Dreams potion. Louisa was very quick to remind her of Professor Snape who scared them both. 

"Practice starts after fifth lesson on Tuesdays and Thursdays until our first match which is against Ravenclaw in a month's time. I expect everyone to be using free periods to keep up with exercise and training. Practice doubles for the two weeks leading up to the first match, so enjoy the respite whilst it lasts." Marcus announced promptly to the team, both new and old members, before leaving the hall. 

June rolled her eyes, muttering to herself that it was not enough practice before the first match. Especially when it was against Ravenclaw, their biggest competitor the year before. It took June scoring the last 10 points of the match just seconds before the snitch was caught by the old Seeker to finally put them ahead. They won the match with a skin of their teeth. Well, the skin of her teeth considering she had scored more than half of the points.

Louisa clattered down next to her, starting Juniper who had just began to close her eyes for some much needed rest. "Let me guess, you didn't sleep again last night? I guess the beds aren't the same quality as you are used to in Hawk mansion, huh?"

"The thread count is too low for my liking," she weakly smiled, but even that felt as though it took too much energy. The smile didn't even reach her dull eyes with large dark shadows circling under them.