Chapter 5

Mattie

I started building a glass wall around myself between me and the world and especially against love. ~ Susan Sanford ~

I wish I could get her to see the girl I see. I wish I could make her understand the beauty that surrounds her. She's the one I turn to when I lose my way. There are a lot of uncertainties in my life, but she's not one of them. In fact, she's the one thing that I'm most sure of. Every dream I've had of leaving this fucking town includes her. She's always there in the background, the one constant that I know I can count on, and that says a lot. If only she knew how much of a constant she is. She won't allow herself to be loved, but I hate to tell her that it's nearly impossible to tell my heart that.

~My Hometown of Dewbridge/Journal Entry by Rylan Tucker

               ___________________________________________________

"You think it's safe?"

"I'm not sure. Do you hear it? See it?"

The object in question scurries across the floor, and we both squeal at the same time while jumping on the couch.

"Where is Skittles? Isn't she supposed to be our protector at a time like this?"

My mom's question makes sense. Glancing around the room, I notice her orange and white coat in the corner, watching the mouse with interest. Her eyes have that enlarged look she gets when she's unsure of a situation.

"I'm pretty sure she's scared of the rodent, mom."

Looking down, she peers at me from the top of her reading glasses.

"Is that possible?"

I don't answer. Instead I take particular note that the tiny thing in question is scooting closer to us instead of away from us. Common sense tells me it's looking for danger in the same way we are, but I don't care. I contemplate whether the couch will keep us safe from its beady little eyes.

"I mean, isn't that why we let you get a cat."

I shrug. "I can't help it if dysfunctional things tend to find me."

Mom chuckles, but it quickly turns to another squeal when the mouse takes a step forward. The bottom floor of our house is open and spacious. No wall connects our kitchen to our living room, where we're currently held prisoner. I'm eyeing my weapon of choice and weighing up my options. There's a decent chance of me getting to the broom, currently residing next to the fridge, before those little feet start running again. My mom follows my gaze, and we look at each other.

"It's only fair. You're older."

"Yes, but you're younger and faster."

"Maybe, but I'm your daughter. Isn't it customary that you protect me from evil things?"

"True, but my chances of having a heart attack are bigger than yours."

"You're not playing fair."

"I learned from the best."

She has me there. Well, shoot. I edge my way closer to the end of the couch and touch my foot to the floor when the evil mini-monster decides to run toward our television. Said object is conveniently located against the wall closest to the kitchen area. We both scream while I jump back and place my back against the wall and my feet as far away from the edge as possible. My heart is racing. How can something so small cause so much fear?

The screen door crashes open. Looking up, we find Rylan Tucker breathing hard and staring at us in amazement. I can only imagine the sight we make. Mom's rollers have started to come undone where she's washed her hair for the night, and I've changed out of my work clothes and into a pair of blue pajama shorts with a matching tank top. My short hair is still drying from the shower I took before joining my mom on the couch. We'd been working on a crossword puzzle when the creature from hell had popped out of nowhere.