Chapter Three: Month One

"How are you doing?"

Specs smiled at Davey and Jack, the both of them doting over him like the nurses. This was the first week before his doom.

He'd learned to stop crying about it, although his eyes did sting a bit at times. His coughing and symptoms were at a minimum, but he was still hacking small amounts of blood. The nurses would usually keep him asleep, as if to ease the pain—and the noise.

"I'm good", he answered, the same smile on his face. He felt Romeo squeeze his hand. "Rather not be here, though."

"Yeah, I can't imagine anyone would disagree with that", Jack tried to joke, sniffling softly. Specs could tell there were tears forming in his eyes, and he was trying so hard not to let them fall. "They treatin' you good here?"

Specs nodded, proud of Jack for trying. It was just too weird. Specs was about to see one of his brothers, the oldest, cry for him, and Jack was already imagining everything. Specs watched as he patted his hand before excusing himself to leave outside of the room. Davey walked closer to him.

"You okay?" Specs smiled at him, nodding mutely. He saw Davey already began shedding tears, his eyes bloodshot and shiny. "I'm sorry."

"Stop", Specs shook his head, still smiling. "I'm good. I'll be good. I'm still here."

Romeo felt that he needed to remember that, too. I'm still here. And breathing, and talking, and laughing, and kissing, and squeezing, and hugging, and holding Romeo's hand; he's here. "Okay. Yeah, sorry."

Specs chuckled, punching Davey lightly in the shoulder. He saw the other crack a small smile as he was knocked slightly off balance, Specs laughing at him. "Stop apologizing! I'm fine."

He was trying so hard to keep his cough down. "Did you eat anything today?"

"He refuses the hospital food", Romeo answered, glaring playfully at his boyfriend. Specs smiled sweetly. "He doesn't eat it."

"Specs."

"What? It's nasty and all of it is filled with protein-grain-healthy shit. I'm not eating that." Specs shook his head, making Romeo and Davey laugh. "You can have it if you want."

"They do offer pudding and chicken", Romeo pointed out, knowing those were two of Specs' favorite food. But he still shook his head.

"I have a theory that they either talked to my nana, or they assumed", Specs stated seriously, making Romeo laugh and Davey sigh. "How else would they know?"

"Romeo could've told them", Davey brought up, rubbing his forehead. Specs looked over at the door, seeing Jack slip back inside. "You know, because he's your boyfriend."

Specs hummed, thinking of the possibility. It's probable, Romeo does know him more than Mush but less than his grandma. He wouldn't say he didn't, request those food items, but "He didn't request those food items."

Jack walked up to Davey with furrowed brows. "What are you guys talking about?"

"Specs doesn't like his hospital food."

"It's nasty", Specs added, making everyone laugh. He smiled at them.

——————

The next week, his nana visited.

She sat by him on the bed, stroking his forehead and telling him the many stories from her day. Specs sat and listened, Romeo holding his hand and keeping his head up with his other palm.

"When I was young, I like to think I had the time of my life", his nana chuckled, and Specs smiled softly. "I didn't get married young like all the other girls, you know, but I did end up with my high school sweetheart."